Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

News:

Author Topic: Planning to get 1uz for my 1995 Land Rover Discovery  (Read 9815 times)

Offline Dee

• View Profile
Planning to get 1uz for my 1995 Land Rover Discovery
« on: February 21, 2007, 08:40:33 AM »
Since I would like to keep it as 4wd my mechanic has suggested to use Land Cruiser Prado's transmission. I was wondering if its possible to mate a uz engines of my original land rover transmission which is auto gearbox with V8 engine.

Suggestions beside this question are also welcome.

Offline Cebby

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Cebby66
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Planning to get 1uz for my 1995 Land Rover Discovery
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 10:49:34 AM »
A V8 Prado transmission will bolt right up - might need a little jockeying with the wiring, but not a huge problem.  Is the front driveshaft drop the correct side for the Disco?

For the Rover trans, it really depends on two factors - the ability to bolt it up and the ability for the ECU to control it.  I don't know much about Rover transmissions unfortunately.  Maybe a few questions will help us figure it out.

Regarding the Rover trans:
  • Does it have a removable bellhousing?
  • What is the spline count of the input? Diameter?
  • Where does the starter contact the flexplate - Top?  Side?
  • Pics would help.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2007, 10:53:24 AM by Cebby »
TOOLandFAB.com
A discussion forum dedicated to tools, fabrication & workshops

Offline Dee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 04:14:54 AM »
I do consider myself a technical guy but as far as engines and transmissions are concerned, I am still learning. I will try and find the answers to those questions, but I will definitely send you some pictures.

Offline Alouette

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 12:43:09 PM »
I am not sure if you have started this project.  I am still in planning on a swap into a Land Rover Defender or Range Rover.

Just something to bear in mind is that the Defender and older Range Rovers have an offset rear diff.  Just check if the Prado transfer case has a straight rear shaft or an offset and check that that matches your diff!

I am stuck with this at the moment!

Offline Chewy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 05:30:58 PM »
My .02 cents...
In researching my FJ80 swap, I ran into the same problem with the Cruiser having an offset driveline.  If I were you, I'd look into sourcing a 343F tranny & transfercase from a 98+ Land Cruiser.  Toyota started putting the 343 in the 80-series in 95, but it wasn't until 98 when the 2UZ motor became an option.  But, if you can find a cheap 95+ 343, you can always swap out the bellhousing, input shaft, oil pump, and torque converter.  The 343F is basically a 341E transmission, but uses the 340E-style valve body.  Plus it has the offset driveline.  Had I stuck with the 1UZ - FJ80 swap, I would've ended up doing this.  Anywho, just a thought...   :)
98 4Runner 1UZ V8
77 Celica

Offline zuffen

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 04:11:57 AM »
I have a 1UZ in my early Range Rover.

Great conversion and I used the standard Rover LT77 manual trans but swapping in the ZF auto would be just as easy.  If you use the ZF rebuild it with Jaguar XJS parts.

Currently rebuilding it with Patrol trans and transfer plus Patrol axles.