Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/customer/www/uzswap.com/public_html/Sources/Load.php on line 168

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/customer/www/uzswap.com/public_html/Sources/Load.php on line 178
I found a nice cheap GPS unit =]
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

News:

Author Topic: I found a nice cheap GPS unit =]  (Read 10504 times)

Offline Smitherz

• ICQ Messenger - 39901198
    • MSN Messenger - ryan@westcoastmafia.com
    • View Profile
    • Fourwheelforum
I found a nice cheap GPS unit =]
« on: January 31, 2007, 08:51:59 PM »
Hey I found a nice deal on a JVC GPS receiver, $225, touchscreen, built in battery, comes with car mount, as many points of interest as Garmin which seems to be the leader in that category, and it can play mp3's and tries to play movie files. I have begun to write a little about it on my locked forum that I use as a blog. This unit came up on a deal finding website and I missed it before so this time I jumped on it. It does everything I want. I have used more expensive ones and I just don't need tons of features. This thing does a great job, is small, can be taken from one vehicle to another one very quickly and can run on the built in battery for quite some time.

JVC KV-PX9 GPS experience - http://www.fourwheelforum.com/index.php?showtopic=110

Down the road I want a Lowrance Baja 480c but it's not as convenient and has to be installed in the vehicle.
Professional Garage Monkey / http://www.fourwheelforum.com/

Offline 91_4x4runner

• Global Moderator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - aimislame15
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: I found a nice cheap GPS unit =]
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2007, 09:24:39 PM »
Looks pretty nice. I think I'm going to get a carputer and a small GPS reciever instead. I'm all about having the extra, unnceessary features ;-)

Kinda like putting a 1UZ into a 4runner.
91 4Runner
78 280Z
92 SC400

Offline Cebby

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Cebby66
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2007, 10:00:23 PM »
That's a nice unit.   I've been using an iPaq with a bluetooth receiver for a number of years now.  It's nice since I can take it from car to car.  Hasn't seen much use with the 4Runner down for the count.  I installed a factory GPS NAV in my Jeep Grand Cherokee a couple of years ago, so even less use for the iPaq system.  That reminds me, I need a new battery for the bluetooth receiver.

Do you think we should have an electronics section here?  I'm an electronics nut - love that stuff!!!

TOOLandFAB.com
A discussion forum dedicated to tools, fabrication & workshops

Offline 91_4x4runner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2007, 10:23:11 PM »
Probably couldn't hurt. Would be a good place to give the detail of the wiring of these swaps as well. I too love electronics.
91 4Runner
78 280Z
92 SC400

Offline Cebby

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2007, 10:54:58 PM »
We have a wiring and electronics section for the swap stuff.  I meant for misc mobile electronics stuff unrelated to the swaps.  It will probably be a section under off-topic -> just a way to keep it all together.
TOOLandFAB.com

Offline 91_4x4runner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 07:48:33 AM »
My stupidity. Sounds like a good idea if you'd like to do it.
91 4Runner
78 280Z
92 SC400

Offline Cebby

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2007, 09:54:57 AM »
Cool - I'll set it up.  I think we are all car audio buffs too...
TOOLandFAB.com

Offline Smitherz

• View Profile
    • Fourwheelforum
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 09:41:55 PM »
Cebb I knew you would come around and start a mobile electronics section on this forum.  :)  GPS is awesome when you're traveling since you don't have to stress for fuel stops of wonder if you've passed your turnoff. Plus you get to play with electronics which we all can't resist. I'm itching to rip out my interior of my truck and get to work reinforcing the cab and building a rack in the back that's braced with a rollcage type structure. I'll have tubing going from the lower corner (up through the floor) of the front cab to the rear of the cab and down through to the frame. The seats mounts will be supported by this whole design and I'll never have to worry about my cab flexing again. My stereo stuff puts a lot of stress on the cab from it's weight so I'm consolidating a lot of my components with newer electronics that are more powerful. This will lighten things up and compact them so I will have more room back there to store tools or stuff when I travel.

I can't touch the inside until I get my engine in of course though. :P  I'm just waiting on the ECU and the heads...

Offline 91_4x4runner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 09:50:23 PM »
Are you simply going with an aftermarket ECU because your engine didn't come with one, or do you plan on doing some kind of forced induction, cams, headers etc?
91 4Runner
78 280Z
92 SC400

Offline Cebby

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 10:03:12 PM »
Smitherz - did you think of building your box out of something lighter?  I've been thinking about honeycomb panels and fiberglass for the box I want to integrate into my 4Runner.  I need to drag out all my equipment and take some pics.  I have old school RF Punch amps (waffle irons) and a full bore Alpine Digitmax fiber system.  My 4Runner has never had a decent system, but I used to compete in the IASCA circuit and worked at a stereo shop part time for a number of years (mainly I worked for equipment)  I had an 87 Celica GTS coupe that I had numerous systems in.  I need to scan the pics though to share.  I'll try to do int he next few days...
TOOLandFAB.com

Offline 91_4x4runner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 10:08:55 PM »
My current system kinda sucks, but it suffices. An Alpine CDE-9845 (has the 1/8" plug for ipod), two crappy Pioneer 4" in the front (bad decision, they make the sound worse), and two Alpine 6x9's in the trunk. The speakers in back are great for tailgate parties, and they resonate really well when turned up. I plan on doing 6x9's in all 4 doors and some 12" subs in back if there's  decent and safe amount of room after the SC400 gas tank goes in.
91 4Runner
78 280Z
92 SC400

Offline Cebby

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2007, 11:12:22 PM »
... and safe amount of room after the SC400 gas tank goes in.

Tell more - like the dims of the SC400 tank!!
TOOLandFAB.com

Offline Smitherz

• View Profile
    • Fourwheelforum
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2007, 11:50:11 PM »
91- I have the factory ECU and 1.5 wiring harnesses for my engine. I just want more power and the Adaptronic will give me a lot more horsies with the mods I plan on doing. I'm getting some crazy head work done right now and with the removal of the EGR and the custom exhaust and intake I'll be needing a programmable ECU to take advantage of all of it. Also the custom wiring will look so nice and clean. I'm also going to run a dual wideband system to help me tune the ECU as close as I can. This engine will be getting the exact amount of fuel it needs at all times. The throttle response will be awesome.

Ahh about the box. I've always thought about molding some fiberglass. Just make a wood frame and stretch the fiber around everything.... I could but it's a lot more work. I'm also concerned with the strength of the unit since it will be supporting the amps and those speakers are pretty heavy. The MDF will just provide the best rigidity which is good in terms of sound. It's a toss up. If I mold fiberglass it's hard to modify it if I change my mind in the middle of it. hmmmmm i dunno. If you know of any good manuals or websites that show you how to build a nice strong fiberglass box please share. I know it can be done but I just haven't done it myself. I have done a couple small fiberglass projects before so it's not totally out of the question. I just picture my new box with shelves and a storage area as well. I also want to make small enclosures for rear speakers... or I will modify the back walls for a higher mounting location for rear speakers... I really will concentrate more on this when the time comes near. Scan some pics of your old system sometime.

Offline Smitherz

• View Profile
    • Fourwheelforum
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2007, 11:55:53 PM »
91- Yeah 6x9s are deceiving. They work really well sometimes. I'm sure your system is far more better sounding than most peoples vehicles. I can't stand getting in someones car and the stereo is old, stock and really sucks. Now the SC fuel tank sounds like a fun project in itself.