UZ Swap Tech > Maintenance: Preventative and Necessary

Starting the engine for the first time...

(1/1)

Cebby:
Not yet for me, but I was reading a thread elsewhere about an engine replacement and there was a post about priming the oil pump to assure there was oil throughout the engine.

Since I'm popping my engine-swap cherry on this one, I was wondering what precautions need to be taken to assure there is no oil starvation at the first start up.

Anyone have some insight?

Smitherz:
There's going to be a couple seconds of oil starvation no matter what, unless you have a primer pump which I would use if I was running a turbo or expensive engine components. When you start a vehicle the check oil will light until oil is circulating since the sensor doesn't have oil running near it. It's so routine that you don't notice it. The pump makes sure the lube points are running oil through them around the cams and valve train before the engine fires. The priming isn't necessary unless you are running some heavy valve springs or exotic materials. Just don't make it a habit to run the engine rpms up for the first minute of starting a cold engine. Now if you have an engine that isn't tuned and won't idle priming would be very nice  ;)

When assembling engines always use assembly lube on the inner engine workings unless you are planning on firing the thing up within the near future. All engine builders do this since the engines are then shipped and probably sit in a garage for a while before installed. I just throw oil on everything before I put the heads on and the valve covers back.

toylexus:
i was just plain curious if the 1UZ i'm working on would produce oil pressure (160,00 miles). Not that there's any doubt this fine machine wouldn't  ;D  i have a test battery i connected directly to the battery cables on the engine that came with the harness. i poured 6 quarts of 10-30 oil in the crankcase.  i unscrewed the old filter and then cranked the engine over with a catch bucket underneath the oil filter adapter.  It took about 5-10 seconds and then it started pumping out the oil. i was satisfied with the results so i put a new filter on it and left it at that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version