Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

News:

Author Topic: Sourcing my Engine  (Read 11819 times)

Offline 91_4x4runner

• Global Moderator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - aimislame15
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sourcing my Engine
« on: December 16, 2006, 10:18:34 PM »
I found myself a reputable seller in NY area who is going to sell me a complete 1UZ with all accessories (everything on the motor, ps pump, ac compressor, all the ecu's, water pump, wire loom intact, nothing cut, maf, ignitors). It's going to cost me 600 for the engine and then 350 shipping from NY to San Antonio, TX to a residential area. Motor has 109,000 miles on it. I'm going to follow Cebby's advice and follow up on this one (rear sump). Sound like a good deal? Anything I could be missing here? He says he buys them salvage and parts em out. This particular one was rear ended. Give me your opinions. Thanks, Eric.
91 4Runner
78 280Z
92 SC400

Offline Cebby

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Cebby66
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sourcing my Engine
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2006, 09:30:56 AM »
That sounds like a heck of a deal, provided there are no hidden issues with the engine.  Might want to see if he has the VIN from the vehicle (I'm assuming this is a US engine and not JDM), so you can check out the  maintenance history at a Lexus dealer.  If it hasn't been done recently, I'd recommend (as a minimum) doing the water pump, timing belt, plugs, wires, caps, rotors, and starter contacts.  Much of that is easier to do with the engine in a stand and not shoe-horned into the engine bay.
TOOLandFAB.com
A discussion forum dedicated to tools, fabrication & workshops

Offline 91_4x4runner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2006, 11:29:37 AM »
Sounds like a good deal to me. I'll see if I can get the VIN from him this week while im on vacation.
91 4Runner
78 280Z
92 SC400

Offline Smitherz

• ICQ Messenger - 39901198
    • MSN Messenger - ryan@westcoastmafia.com
    • View Profile
    • Fourwheelforum
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 05:20:06 PM »
I think he's full of BS. That sounds exactly like what happened to me, EXACTLY. I would rather find a wrecked one and get it for a grand. I've seen em on Ebay before. You will be SO much happier. The odds of him sending everything you need are SOOOO SMALL!!! You need parts that are not attached to the engine and they just unplug the engines and stack them. The company that sent me an engine swore they would take it out nice and neat. They got my money and sent me an engine that was cut, parts broken and bolts sawed off like they were in a competition to jerk the engine as fast or as lazily at they could.

I wouldn't trust them at all unless they actually SEND you pictures of the engine in the car and then the same engine sitting on a palette all nice and tidy ready for shipping. Of course those are high res pictures so you can see that it's the exact same one. Of course they would never do that for you because they pull the engines and sit them in a storage container or building waiting to be sold. NEVER trust ANYTHING a wrecking yard or engine seller tells you. You do not have any protection and it's not enough money to take anyone to court for. They know this. There are LS400's out there wrecked for sale. Or Get a front cut so that you will have everything included and you will save yourself more money and time than you can imagine. Now you might find a private seller on Ebay that has a single engine and nice pictures to send you. I've seen 2 or 3 good deals like this from people that bought everything and decided not to go through with it.

I got completely screwed by a yard that just swore they would do anything for me and were honest etc. etc. Total BS and they have since changed their number which they probably do once a year. I've been around to so many yards that are the same. They are all shiesty. They just want your money. Make sure you actually see what you are getting!!!!! I cannot stress this enough.  Cash talks and if you have the cash in front of someone with a dead LS400 they will let it go for next to nothing. They cost TONSSSS of money to fix. The dealers or any parts houses are make a killing off any of the parts they need to fix them just because they say Lexus on them. You are taking a huge risk buying that engine because anything wrong or missing will cost you a LOT of money to fix/ replace. The parts are always more than any other major brand. I have connections for parts at cost and they still add up and up and up.

Get a complete engine out of a front cut or wreck and you won't have anything to worry about. It will cost a little more but you will have everything. No one at a junk yard or engine recycler will remove it with care, I don't care what anyone says. Keep in mind that valve work and water pumps cost thousands for people to service and repair so guess what? People will often just skip it and sell the car. So the second owners tend to drive them into the ground until they stop. I've seen a lot of them for sale that need major servicing or "small repairs" that their owners say won't cost much to fix. Well why don't they fix them their selves? Because any work done to those costs big bucks no matter what. The parts are expensive and any shop that sees you driving up will just start drooling over your wallet cause it's a Lexus. I would just keep saving some money until I found a used one parked on the side of the road with a for sale sign on it. I've seen three for sale for cheap and I could have got a very nice one with a blown transmission for $300, I'm serious.
Professional Garage Monkey / http://www.fourwheelforum.com/

Offline 91_4x4runner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 05:54:29 PM »
I'll post up some pictures of it later. I have them on my computer at home but I'm sitting in the airport right now on my laptop. I'm having him send me some new ones. What was your story Smitherz and where did you buy yours from?
91 4Runner
78 280Z
92 SC400

Offline 91_4x4runner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2006, 11:46:40 AM »
Here are the pics of the engine as it sits in New York now:

Tell me what you think, Eric.
91 4Runner
78 280Z
92 SC400

Offline 91_4x4runner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2006, 09:40:43 PM »
Alright, I'm pretty pissed off about this, but glad I listened to Smitherz. I put 2 and 2 together and found that the guy was a liar. I asked him about the engine one last time before preceeding with shipping information transfer. Asked a few more questions and he goes: "i've got some bad news, someone came and picked up the vechicle and engine in it for cash today", which shows that he lied about the engine being pulled and the pictures are fake. I've spent most of tonight searching craiglist for a decent lexus (wrecked) for sale. An hour later, I came up with an '92 SC400 for sale (2200 advertised an hour away) with front pass. suspension damage. I called the guy and asked him if the price was negotiable, if he had the title, and other information about it. He said that he'd probably go down to around 1500, but it depends what I'd be willing to offer after i saw it. I eagerly anticipate a meeting sometime this week hopefully to inspect the vehicle and possibly offer 1-1.2K cash on the spot. I know I seem incredibly gung-ho about acquiring my very own 1UZ, and I am. Here is his original post on craigslist:

This is a 1992 Lexus SC 400. I can sell the parts seperate or the car as a whole. The car has been involved in an accident. Passenger side suspension units are messed up and I am not planning to repair it.
The engine and everything else runs good. The hood is carbon fiber and is a little bit damaged(might be repairable). Radiator was installed in February. Headlights are new(both low and highbeams). There are many other new parts that I have the receipts.The engine has been serviced recently and all receipts are available.
I have 4 16''rims(3 the same and another different one)to sell them seperate. If you need anything very specific you can give me a call and see if we can seperate it. If you need more pics I can send them later.
91 4Runner
78 280Z
92 SC400

Offline Cebby

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2006, 11:04:05 AM »
That sounds promising.  What's the mileage?
TOOLandFAB.com

Offline 91_4x4runner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2006, 09:45:17 PM »
I drove the 1.5 hour trip to north Austin today to check out the engine. The serpentine belt that turns the alt/water pump etc. was off, but we cranked it anyways just running off battery (it was damn cold, so it wasnt a huge deal), and it purred like a kitten. Sounded pretty damn good for the mileage it had (195,000). No valve ticking or anything. Revved it to 4K (probably bad idea without cooling) real quick; no stuttering at all. I offered 800 to him and he didn't bite. Offered 1K and he said he was willing to go as low as 1300. Offered 1250 and he bit (I was prepared to pay 1300 for it). Gonna put the belt on next time during the daytime and crank it to make sure all is good accessory wise. If it's good, I'm gonna tow it out to our farm and start parting it out. Since I'm going to have some time to check it out before buying (while it's still in the bay), should I do anything else to insure it's good?
91 4Runner
78 280Z
92 SC400

Offline Smitherz

• View Profile
    • Fourwheelforum
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2006, 04:59:35 PM »
Hey now that sounds like a pretty decent deal. I haven't checked in here to comment in a while, busy and all. TAKE IT. You know those engines run great forever and are extremely durable. All of those parts that it takes to make the engine run are very expensive when you have to buy one here and one there. Having all the parts and seeing the engine run are exactly what you wanted! That is a great deal and the only thing you can do now to check the engines condition is take off the heads and check for cracks and the condition of the valves. You should be just fine though.

Since it obviously runs the best option for you is to keep it together, don't crack or break any wires and put it in your vehicle. You even have fresh fuel in the thing which is awesome. One thing I would do it send those injectors in since they are easy to get to and you won't have to disassemble anything major to do it. Check out my awesome experience with this at: http://www.fourwheelforum.com/index.php?showtopic=83. I learned a TON about the advantages of having them cleaned and I hope people do the same by readin about it. Other than that I would say you are ready to drive.

When I took off the heads of my engine I found that the head gaskets were in great shape. There is no sign of breakdown anywhere and keep in mind that the reason I have my engine is because the water pump seized up and the car must have been parted out from there. I'm sure someone overheated my engine and even still the head gaskets show no signs of giving out at all. They actually look better than a set of super low quality new ones that Carquest had in their inventory! I have a new set coming from Felpro.

So like I was saying I would recommend a pressure wash hot bath and an injector cleaning and you will be ready to roll. These engines are awesome. Despite the fact that my manifolds had a TON of carbon in them the combustion chambers were super clean of carbon deposits! I was shocked to tell you the truth. Report back with some pictures of your new car  ;D.

Offline 91_4x4runner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2006, 10:12:16 PM »
I'll do that as soon as I pick it up. This Lexus actually has a clear title and I'm going to get it transferred to my name (even though I don't need it). I'm gonna try to find a set of bald tires to use to get it rolling onto the trailer tomorrow. If anyone has any suggestions on where to get em, please tell me (I'm thinking discount tire). Pics and vids as soon as I can.
91 4Runner
78 280Z
92 SC400

Offline 91_4x4runner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2006, 10:31:59 PM »
I went to discount tires today and chatted with the manager for a few minutes. Asked him if he had any bald tires that would just hold air that we could get mounted on the rims the seller gave us. He gave us 2 decent rolling tires for free  :D. Also picked up my uncles trailer (using the 3.0 sucked) today. Going to get it towed back by this Sunday. Stoked  ;D
91 4Runner
78 280Z
92 SC400

Offline Cebby

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2006, 10:36:28 PM »
That's great!!  Congrats!!
TOOLandFAB.com

Offline 91_4x4runner

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2006, 06:37:20 PM »
Woohoo! It's mine! A 1992 SC400 with a rear sump 1UZ, tan leather power seats (which will go in my 4Runner after being recovered), Carbon Fiber Hood, and a bunch of other goodies.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D

91 4Runner
78 280Z
92 SC400

Offline Smitherz

• View Profile
    • Fourwheelforum
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2007, 10:49:50 PM »
That is awesome my man. Hey just be careful taking stuff apart and VERY careful not to break the power steering soleniod that hangs off the side of the PS pump. That thing is EXPENSIVE and super fragile! Mine was broke during shipping and I had a heart attack when I found out how much a new replacement would cost me. I have a used one coming in the mail right now. *thumbs up on that one*

Keep in mind that every part on that thing is worth $$. The spark plugs wires are $140 so BE CAREFUL removing them. Buy new plugs but buy a spark plug wire removal tool when you take off those plugs. The little metal part will pull right out from where it's crimped on the end of the wire. I was super careful with mine and the thing still pulled out. They seize onto the plugs and wouldn't budge. Take your time when taking things apart. If it's plastic put it away so you don't drop something onto it, or step on it and break it. Don't replace things just to replace it. Your engine looks ready to run except maybe new plugs, and PCV valve grommet and power steering o-rings and gasket for the cap.... cheap parts. These PCV grommets are pretty tough so I heated mine up and it popped right in. http://www.lextreme.com/pcv.html

I seriously wouldn't do a thing to mine if I didn't have to. But when I got mine it was in bad shape from sitting and rusting. Yours looks like it's in great shape! Just save your money and don't replace anything you don't have to. Besides the above I would only change the distributor caps and rotors and oil =] But you can do these parts all after you are done with your swap. I highly recommend saving the money and the engine work for later... if you even need to. Any of those gaskets for the intake manifolds can only be purchased in a kit and that is hundreds of $$. Just roll with what you got because it obviously isn't broken. The best money you can spend is having the injectors cleaned before you do the swap. They are super easy to get to , cheap and will certainly make your engine run better.  http://www.fourwheelforum.com/index.php?showtopic=83