Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

News:

Author Topic: what uz engine to put in 2000 tacoma prerunner?  (Read 9970 times)

Offline PyroTaco

• View Profile
what uz engine to put in 2000 tacoma prerunner?
« on: April 02, 2008, 12:24:21 PM »
Hi!

My name is Chester and I have been researching for the past month about putting in a uz in my 2000 tacoma 2.7l prerunner.
been to several sites but i havent found a definitive answer yet to my research.

at first, i thought a simple swap from a 91 LS400 would suffice, but as i read on. it seems to get more and more difficult to the point that i am now confused. mostly about the obdII matter plus passing smog in california.

is it correct to assume that i cannot use a 91 1uzfe since my taco is  a 2000? since it doesnt have OBDII circuitry?
and that i have to actually find a 2000 year model or above engine to swap with? 
ECU, trans, wiring and all? or is there another way?

somebody please clarify.

Thanks!

Offline Cebby

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Cebby66
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: what uz engine to put in 2000 tacoma prerunner?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 06:07:25 PM »
I don't know about California, but in PA, the engine must be the same year or newer.  Smitherz would be the man to talk to as he's doing a swap on his Taco and he's in CA.
TOOLandFAB.com
A discussion forum dedicated to tools, fabrication & workshops

Offline toylexus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008, 07:08:39 PM »
This is the california smogcheck site's info on engine swaps:
  http://www.smogcheck.ca.gov/geninfo/publications/engine_change_guidelines-jan_1994.htm

To meet california smog check, you can't use an engine older than the vehicle, like your case- the 1991 LS400 engine into a 2000 truck would not work in california. Same model year engine or newer.  Also note in their documentation, "engine change" refers to an engine swap.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 07:13:33 PM by toylexus »

Offline Man4God

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 12:44:36 AM »
As just stated, you need an engine from the same year vehicle.  Reason being is that California or any state for that matter doesn't want people buying a new car, blowing the motor and dropping a 72 350 in it with no smog stuff on it.  It makes sense.  It's just expensive for those of us with newer cars. 

The swap is totally doable.  But you are going to have to deal with VVTi and all that jazz.  Which wouldn't be a bad thing, but it's more electrical work. 

Offline PyroTaco

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 10:24:27 AM »
Hi Cebby, Toylexus, Man4God,

Thank You very much for the info, i was thinking of the 'would be project' to get more mileage and power at the same time.

with this new info, i decided it will cost too much unless i get lucky and get a hold of a crashed 2000 or better ls430.

Now I'm looking maybe i should just get a header and maybe look into the HHO thing or a fuel combustion catalyst.

I really appreciate your help!

:):):)

Offline Man4God

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2008, 12:17:17 PM »
No problem.  It also looks to be a pain in the butt too because of the fact that VVTi and a bunch of security stuff has to be in place for the ECU to even work properly.  I was reading on VVTi and it really seems like a giant PITA.  It's totally sweet, but WAY too much work.  You would have to wire up ABS sensors and other stuff that all contribute to the "i" part of the VVTi.  This is about as fully active of a system as you could imagine as far as engine management is concerned. 

Offline PyroTaco

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 12:09:32 PM »
Yes, I agree with you...

i like to tinker but budget wise, just a no go for now... maybe some time down the road :)
i would love to learn all that OBD2 protocol, I'm a computer engineer so when the time comes. it should be simple enough.

Thank You again Man4God and Everyone!

Offline Smitherz

• ICQ Messenger - 39901198
    • MSN Messenger - ryan@westcoastmafia.com
    • View Profile
    • Fourwheelforum
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 11:05:43 PM »
I've seen an older 1UZ smogged in a newer 4Runner. It just depends on if you get lucky with a nice DMV person. Always be on your best behavior in there! They will help you if you are nice.
Professional Garage Monkey / http://www.fourwheelforum.com/

Offline toylexus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 02:28:17 PM »
Dude... i think you'd have to be buying somebody at the smog shop and whoever put the BAR label on the door beer for a very long time too... ;D -- not just the DMV.