Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

News:

Author Topic: T100 4x4 5sp UZ engine choices  (Read 4780 times)

Offline Phatoy

• View Profile
    • Email
T100 4x4 5sp UZ engine choices
« on: December 27, 2009, 04:08:17 PM »
Hi Guys, another newbie here with questions.  First I'd like to thank all of you out there that take the time to share with us that which you have learned at great cost.  I've been doing my research on UZ Toyota Truck swaps and am ready to ask a few questions of my own.  I've been a UZ fan forever and have a lovely LS400 that seems to be wreck-proof.  I've been waiting and waiting, my wife has never taken so long to wreck a car.  So I'm looking for a donor for my T100 UZ swap.  I bought my T100 new in '93, it's been my daily driver with 250K hard miles with lots of love and care.  I've been waiting and waiting for my 3.0 to blow, but I've never taken so long to kill engine.  So once I've collected most of my swap pieces, I'm goin to pull a tired but good running engine.  I'm going to mate my 5sp trans to the Dellow bellhousing and hopefully not have to relocate it.  I don't do as much 4xing as I used to so I'm keeping the IFS.  I've read lots of info on small truck and 4runner swaps but very little on T100s.  I'm hoping the extra room in the engine bay and the wider frame rails will allow more room for oil filter and exhaust manifolds.  I'm trying to determine the best UZ engine configuration for this application.  Most say front sump for IFS trucks, but would a rear sump work better if I did a 4" diff drop lift?  Most say small trucks need a body lift, can I get away without since my bay is larger?  How about my e brake rod and steering shaft?  Any information or insights that will help me gather the correct components are greatly appreciated. Thanks

Offline Smitherz

• ICQ Messenger - 39901198
    • MSN Messenger - ryan@westcoastmafia.com
    • View Profile
    • Fourwheelforum
Re: T100 4x4 5sp UZ engine choices
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 03:05:28 AM »
I would seriously recommend you buy a Tundra! There is no way I would recommend you put in a 1UZ into that truck. It's a LOT more work than you think. All of the components you need cost some serious money and when you factor in shipping it gets worse. Then you have to find a GOOD 1UZ with ALL the components which is a chore. I know you might be attached to your T100 but IMO you would be insane not to sell it and buy a Tundra. It would be cheaper, run better and require no work.

But on with some details about what you have in mind:
If you search around you can find the exact width of the 1UZ from side to side - exhaust manifold to exhaust manifold. Then just measure between your front shock towers to see what kind of clearance you have or don't have. You will find a front sump engine in good shape long before a rear one. Converting the engine to a rear pickup oilpan isn't hard. I would rather get a good front sump and build a custom pan and pickup then settle for a rear sump in worse condition just because it's a rear sump. You really need to look at how the rear sump is arranged as well. I wouldn't want one in my Tacoma. I would recommend that you stick with the front sump.

In order to do it in your truck without a body lift you might have to make one anyway. I would be shocked if you were able to do it without a body lift. It's SO much easier with at least a 2" body lift (you could make one easily) and a 3 or 4" like the kits you can buy are better still. You can trim down the kits that you buy AFTER you have installed your 1UZ and transmission. That way you could see how low you can possible mount the engine and transmission and lower the body lift accordingly if you have the space. 4" lift isn't that much and when you upsize your tires when buying your next set your truck will look proportional and you will probably like it more.

The steering shaft is the easy thing to modify. Routing a custom exhaust around it is MUCH more difficult and requires more fabricating skills. E brake fitment is definitely one of the smallest issues to deal with as well. It's a LOT of work to do this swap and your truck will experience a lot of downtime. I see a lot of people wanting to do this type of swap because they think it won't be that hard or cost much money. Whatever you think it will cost... even if you think you have it all figured out - seriously double it. And the time you estimate it will take you - triple that. I hate to discourage anyone but I'm just giving out some advice. I would buy a Tundra in a heartbeat.

I can give you even more stumbling blocks that you will come across.... they are ugly.  :-\ These swaps are anything but plug & play. But if you want a good project, have tons of spare time and don't mind continuously dumping money into it... it's a lot of fun! Having friends that can fabricate or even engineer things is a must.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 03:09:55 AM by Smitherz »
Professional Garage Monkey / http://www.fourwheelforum.com/

Offline Phatoy

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: T100 4x4 5sp UZ engine choices
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 07:30:00 PM »
Thanks for your opinion, advice and info.  I am attached to my truck.  Hino built T100s have way better quality and integrity than the American made Tundras.  If I am to keep my truck a new engine will be needed.  A new 3.0 will cost 2-4K depending on new used rblt etc.  A 3.4 swap will cost in the 5-7K range for a few more HP.  I estimate the v8 swap in the 10k range.  Good things never come easy.  I will keep doing my research for now to ferret out as many potential demons in advance as possible.  It seems a bit of insanity is nearly a requirement for any swap.