Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

News:

Author Topic: 1UZ fires then stops, wont start  (Read 9606 times)

Offline vaughan

• View Profile
    • Email
1UZ fires then stops, wont start
« on: August 11, 2009, 06:04:47 AM »
My surf has been running fine with the 1UZ and auto. Went for a drive and after about 20 mins it would die for a second or two then run again for a few minutes. Stopped and turn it off and it wouldn't start. towed it home (with a sierra!) tried it again once it cooled down and it started fine. (battery was disconnected in between)

Got the fault codes, left and right oxy sensor.
Went to start it to hopefully get it to have the same problem to get the codes and it wont start. codes are 14 (no IGF1 signal to ECM for 8-11 consecutive IGT1 signal) and 78 (fuel pump). i think the fuel pump code is caused by code 14.

it turns over and fires, only runs for a second then stops

hard wiring the fuel pump does not help.

what is this? igniter?
91 Surf, 1UZ, A3041LE, Khumo Kl71 33", F&R Lockers, BL, BJ spacers, cruiser coils

Offline bushwhacker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1UZ fires then stops, wont start
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 04:42:35 PM »
Are the coil wires plugged in securely?
Keep on truckin'!

Offline toyminator

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 08:53:05 PM »
vapor lock???
1989 P/U
1988 4Runner

Offline vaughan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 09:00:54 PM »
had a few minutes to check it out. pulled off 1 ignitor plug, no change, swapped ignitors, no change, swapped plugs and no go!

so its not ignitor, its wiring. traced the wires back to the ecu and one wire (black/white IGT1) has no continuity. ill try wiring it and see if it runs. fingers crossed!  :D

also with the main oxy sensors not working will that just cause AF ratio to be a bit out or does it put into a fault mode?
91 Surf, 1UZ, A3041LE, Khumo Kl71 33", F&R Lockers, BL, BJ spacers, cruiser coils

Offline vaughan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 05:38:30 AM »

tried with each ignitor unplugged, no change with #1 unplugged but without #2 it would turn over but not fire at all.

traced the wires from both ignitors, all seem fine but IGT on ignitor 1 has a bit of resistance, and sometimes no continuity. Wriggling the wires doesn't seem to change it. so plugs are probably ok

started fine  :-s got codes out and only got oxy sensors.

tried to start again, fires but wouldn't run. Code 14 is back. tried unplugging ignitors and swapping the plugs, seemed to be that the #1 plug is dodgy. checked wires again, all fine bar IGT1 still.

wired that to the ECU but it made no difference.

now the thing turns over but wont even fire. Its driving me crazy! it is inconsistent which makes it hard to diagnose. Are any of these fused somewhere I havent found? what else can i check? 

Offline bushwhacker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 05:27:23 PM »
Are the igniters earthed (grounded) properly? i.e. are they touching bare metal and not just scratched paint?
Keep on truckin'!

Offline vaughan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 06:05:46 PM »
they seemed to be earthed properly when i poked them with a multimeter, but will double check

running out of ideas, but not too keen to take it somewhere.

Offline toylexus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 04:37:39 PM »
Maybe i missed it somewhere, but did you verify what part of the internal combustion process you've lost when it's in the failed state? Have you pulled the coil wire from each distributor to see if there's spark to ground (from each coil) while you're cranking the engine? If you have spark from the coils, have you verified if the distributors are sending the spark to the spark plugs? If you have spark at the plugs, have you verified whether or not you have fuel pressure? If you have fuel pressure, do your fuel injectors have power/ground and a control signal? Does the engine sound differrent than normal when it cranks? (Timing belt skipped a tooth/broken?) i would advise against chasing codes until you verify whether you've lost spark, fuel, or compression. If you lose any one of those, the engine won't run. Start with the easiest- spark and fuel. Once you find out which one you've lost, you can chase the related electrical/mechanical system to pinpoint the cause.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 04:40:55 PM by toylexus »

Offline vaughan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 06:27:12 PM »
ended up taking it to a mechanic. he got it going, not sure what he did but sait it was something to do with coil/ignitor. A$316 and its going again, phew!