Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/customer/www/uzswap.com/public_html/Sources/Load.php on line 168

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/customer/www/uzswap.com/public_html/Sources/Load.php on line 178
1uz into 4runner (4wd to 2wd)
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

News:

Author Topic: 1uz into 4runner (4wd to 2wd)  (Read 9527 times)

Offline stevetinks

• View Profile
    • Email
1uz into 4runner (4wd to 2wd)
« on: May 30, 2009, 09:29:22 AM »
hi guys, first post so be gentle.

couple of questions i know have probably been asked multiple times but want the answers in one place to be doubly sure. i have a 3.0 petrol 4runner manual, and the head gasket(s) have blown. now i can't be bothered to fix that engine if i can do this swap relativly easy.

what i want to do is take the old engine and gearbox out, along with the transfer case, and fit the v8 ecu and auto box from the lexus. now i believe i've seen that this is a case of swapping the tail piece out of the 4runners auto box and fitting it to the lexus's ( correct me if i'm wrong there). as i don't have an auto box, is this same tail section on the manual box, or is this a trip to the local scrapyard to get said part? also, do i need to get the transmission components from an automatic such as the gearstick.

in this case would i be right in saying that the only other bits i need are engine mounts made up and a different radiator/fan? by having the truck 2wd does this mean i won't need to alter the sump (oil pan)?

i know its a bit backwards but at the moment i want a running truck out of the way, whereby i can deal with the 4x4 bits later on

cheers in advance
steve (from currently sunny south wales)

Offline stevetinks

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1uz into 4runner (4wd to 2wd)
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 01:51:35 PM »
oh, another thing i forgot. does the supra manual gearbox fit straight to the engine for a 2wd application, or is this where all the custom bellhousings come into the equation?

Offline Cebby

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Cebby66
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 11:26:40 AM »
No manual boxes bolt to the 1UZ without custom work (unless you are fortunate enough to live where you can get the 2UZ LC with manual)
TOOLandFAB.com
A discussion forum dedicated to tools, fabrication & workshops

Offline stevetinks

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 04:34:22 AM »
thought that was the case for a manual :(  one other thing i forgot... is a body lift neccesary for a 2wd conversion?

Offline bushwhacker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 02:38:53 PM »
thought that was the case for a manual :(  one other thing i forgot... is a body lift neccesary for a 2wd conversion?

No, because the front diff is  not required  and the engine can be mounted lower.

Vince, from sunny south Wales too! ;D
Keep on truckin'!

Offline stevetinks

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 03:09:40 PM »
happy days! will be getting a body lift at some point, just not high on the list of things to do at the moment. (no pun intended)

vince, once i'm mobile again, may have to come have a look at yours at some point, as we're in the ssame neck of the woods. need to look at a few derv 4runners this week to tow the dead one

Offline Brosque

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 09:53:34 AM »
no nody lift is necessary  for the  2wd conversion but you will  get some headaches with the   exhaust  manifolds.

Offline stevetinks

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 11:11:59 AM »
to be honest i don't think theres much i won't already have that i can't nab from my manual v6. think its the aftermarket bits i'll be needing. thanks for the offer though. got my 3.0 td "runabout" yesterday, so i can tow the petrol one down my mates to start work on it ;D

Offline D.affen

• ICQ Messenger - 255878435
    • View Profile
1uz into 4runner 4wd to 2wd
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 04:12:22 PM »
So basically you used the internals of a miata tranny and placed them into an fc tranny case?..So its all bolt in i assume. Also anyone know how much tq the miata tranny is rated for?