Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

News:

Author Topic: 05 Tundra 4.7 swapped into a 2003 Tundra with 4.7  (Read 13098 times)

Offline Jmbeam

• View Profile
    • Email
05 Tundra 4.7 swapped into a 2003 Tundra with 4.7
« on: January 15, 2009, 07:11:16 PM »
Man I wish I would have found this site before I started this swap. I  installed a 05 Tundra 4.7 into a 03 Tundra 4.7 4x4.  I swapped the intake from the 03 and put it on the 05 engine.

The engine started up and I took it for a run and all was well untill I stomped on the pedal. It died and it dies every time the gas pedal is pressed hard. THe OBDII tool said I had an error of PO340 Camshaft position sensor. Well I replaced it and the truck still runs the same.

An online Toyota mechanic said the following    ;These 2 engines are not cross compatable. If you are going to have a 2005 engine in this truck then you must replace the engine control module and the entire engine wiring harness with one from a 2005 model. The engine control and vvt-i system are the reasons.

As I stated before these are not direct compatable swaps. BOTH the 2003 and 2005 use the same 2uz-fe engine but the 2005 has a LOT more power because it has variable valve timing. That is why there are a LOT more connectors/sensors and components on the 2005 engine, they may "look" the same externally but the internal components on the 2005 (which are electronically controlled by the computer) are the reason that the engine has more output. Toyota upgraded this engine AND the transmission in the 2005 model year.

The computer and wiring harness on your 2003 is NOT compatable with this engine and the programming for the vvt-i system is NOT programmed for the 2005 engine so there are a LOT of issues taking place in the system, the computer just is not programmed with the parameters and codes to tell you of the issues. I work on these cars everyday and am very familiar with the 2uz-fe that has been used in both the Lexus and Toyota products that I am factory certified and educated on since it's original launch in 1998 to current models.

Man I hope this is not true and it was not mentioned by anyone before the swap. BTW I needed the swap because the crankshaft actually broke in the 03(It also ran at the time but with a loud knocking noise)

Any suggestions? Did I just waste $110 on a new Camshaft sensor? My funds are real low after this swap and this is killing me.

In addition and I dont think they are linked but the starter stays engaged when starting the engine, I need to back off the key to fix it. This occurred with two different starters. Do you think something was left off or on causing this?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Offline Cebby

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Cebby66
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 05 Tundra 4.7 swapped into a 2003 Tundra with 4.7
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2009, 11:52:33 PM »
Oh boy....

I don't know from experience, but what the tech is saying makes a lot of sense.  Are both engines throttle by wire?  AFAIK they are, but if they squeezed more HP out of essentially the same motor, it sure sounds like ECU and harness related.  (Not what you wanted to hear, I'm sure).  What are the differences on the harness?  Won't an 05 ECU plug into it?

If you still have the 03 motor, you might want to consider pulling the crank out of the 05 motor and placing it in the 03 motor.  That's likely the least expensive fix (although very time intensive).  If that isn't an option, then replacing the harness and getting either an 05 ECU or a stand alone might be the answer.
TOOLandFAB.com
A discussion forum dedicated to tools, fabrication & workshops

Offline toylexus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 03:41:13 AM »
i did some research on the '03 and the'05 2UZ engines for the tundra. i looked up the cylinder head exploded views in alldata and compared the two. The '05 2UZ engine has an actuator on each intake camshaft that controls the valve timing. Along with the actuator is also an electrical oil control valve.

The '03 2UZ engine does not have these components. As was stated by the online toyota tech, there are major differences in the valvetrain between the two engines. The code p0340 relates to the correlation or timing between the camshaft and crankshaft.

If you are running the '05 engine with the '03 ECU, the ecu is not capable of controlling the valve timing. i can't speak this from experience, but in the case of the code p0340 you're getting, the two engines might have different cam/crank timing. What may be normal cam/crank timing for the '05 engine could be different than what the '03 ecu is expecting to see, causing it to set the code.

If that is the case, both the '05 engine and the '03 ecu are both doing what they're supposed to, they just weren't designed to work together.

Offline Jmbeam

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 01:55:47 PM »
Is there anything I can do that is not drastic? The engine starts right up and drives fine, I only get in trouble when I need to quickly punch the gas. Could I swap the computer out or does that mean the wiring harness needs to be changed also? What kind of job is it to change the harness and what do you think a harness goes for used and new?

Offline toylexus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 08:20:16 PM »
If you swap to an '05 ECU, you're also going to need the harness. There's extra wires in that '05 harness to control the actuators and to watch sensors on the engine, including the plugs to connect to the actuators and sensors. i haven't gone as far as looking at the ecu connectors on the '03 and '05 yet, but there's a good possibility that you may not be able to plug an '05 ecu into the'03 harness anyway. As far as price goes, your bargain hunting skills may be the best way to find a price on something like that. Maybe someone else here has a good idea on price......

Offline Jmbeam

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 08:33:51 PM »
If you were me what would you do first to try to get this engine running correctly. Money is tight but its also killing me not being able to use this truck.  Another person mentioned that there was something on the camshaft that could be changed that may help with the timing. This is the guy who actually did the swap for me. He also used the intake from the 03 instead of the plastic one from the 05. I just dont know what I should try first since I am also worried on how I will be able to get this truck New York State inspected.

Offline Jmbeam

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 11:56:45 AM »
CAn anyone point me in the right direction to get a used ECM and wiring harness for a 2005 4.7L Tundra engine. ANy guess on how long the job takes and what someone would charge? I really need this truck fixed, I have all my money tied up into it. Thanks

Offline Jmbeam

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 12:29:53 PM »
OK one more thing. I was just told by a parts reseller that the ECU and wiring harness amy get the engine going but that the transmission also has extra sensors in 2005 and may not work. Any opinions?

Offline Cebby

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Cebby66
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 04:16:38 PM »
Tranmission differences and speed sensors would be easier to fool (or retrofit) most likely.  If history is an indicator anyway...
TOOLandFAB.com
A discussion forum dedicated to tools, fabrication & workshops

Offline Chewy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 11:50:10 PM »
CAn anyone point me in the right direction to get a used ECM and wiring harness for a 2005 4.7L Tundra engine. ANy guess on how long the job takes and what someone would charge? I really need this truck fixed, I have all my money tied up into it. Thanks

I just took a quick look on eBay and found a couple of ECU's for sale, the cheapest being $103.49...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2005-05-Toyota-Tundra-4X4-ECU-ECM-Engine-Computer-50469_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247QQcategoryZ33596QQihZ012QQitemZ220293162813QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

It has a "best offer" too, so you should be able to get it cheaper.  The harness might be a little more difficult to come by.  Other than the usual places (eBay, car-part.com, etc.), I'd say try posting in the wanted section on Tundrasolutions or even Lextreme.

Changing out your harness and computer shouldn't be too difficult, maybe a full day of work?  I'd guess a couple hundred dollars for labor.  All depends on your mechanic...
98 4Runner 1UZ V8
77 Celica

Offline toyminator

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 08:39:18 AM »
Is the 05 motor a vvti and the 03 not?
1989 P/U
1988 4Runner

Offline Jmbeam

• View Profile