Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

News:

Author Topic: LS vs SC  (Read 9305 times)

Offline tech tim

• View Profile
    • Email
LS vs SC
« on: April 29, 2008, 11:43:30 PM »
Any difference in the 1UZs from the LS and the SC?

I've seen it mentioned about differences in harnesses, are any of the hard parts different?

Is there a preeference on which model to use?

Offline bushwhacker

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: LS vs SC
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 08:10:41 AM »
SCs have larger injectors  and different exhaust headers.
Keep on truckin'!

Offline Cebby

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Cebby66
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 01:14:27 PM »
SC's are rear sump, LS are front sump.

Seems we're divided on which engine is more suitable.  Note that the block/heads/intake etc are the same on both motors.

LS:
There are a number that have done the swap with the LS motor, spaced up above the steering relay rod and pushed forward.  The downside of this method is that you MUST use a body lift,  the center of gravity gets higher and it is typically more forward also (due to brake booster vs valve cover clearance), requiring use of a pusher fan on the outside of the radiator (in lieu of the AC condenser/fan).  I think you cannot use the factory exhaust manifolds either - the LS's stick out pretty far. (Need confirmation on that)

SC:
This is the method I am working on (even though my engine was from a JDM version of the LS).  You can use parts from an SC motor on an LS.  For example, I'm using the oil pan from a SC (consists of aluminum ring, steel bottom pan, windage tray and pickup tube).  You can also use the oil pan from 2UZ motors (in Land Cruisers, Tundras, Sequoias).  This method is not without it's modifications though.  The lower portion of the oil pan must be reworked to clear the diff.  The benefit of the rear sump is this allows the motor to sit lower in the frame, keeping the COG lower - in turn, it can be kept under the brake booster, moving things back to allow use of a puller fan on the engine side of the radiator.

The SC exhaust manifolds are tucked in closer to the block than the LS models, simplifying exhaust routing.

Due to the larger injectors, SC's use a fuel pump ECU, LS's seem to have this feature also, but only on some years from what we've found.

Ultimately, either one can be made to work.  The one you choose is based on availability, your goals, and your fabrication/technical skills.  The Aussies pioneered this swap, so there are manual transmission conversion kits available from Australia and New Zealand as well as custom fit headers.

Most will agree that the early models of these engines are best - they used beefier connecting rods, plus they were pre-VVTI engines, so the wiring is greatly simplified.
TOOLandFAB.com
A discussion forum dedicated to tools, fabrication & workshops

Offline tech tim

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2008, 02:03:46 PM »
Larger injectors?

So does the SC have more power?

The wiki rates the LS and SC as having the same power ratings.

Offline toyminator

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2008, 08:40:57 PM »
In addition to what the others have said. 

-The LS had a different Oil filter adapter than the SC and the LS's will not fit between the framerails of the 79-95 Toyota Truck frame.

-The LS uses a clutch fan as well as electric pusher fans.  The SC uses a hydraulic cooling fan with its own fluid,resevoir, and computer to control it.  Neither one of these will fit in The Toyota Truck.  You need an electric fan and a larger capacity radiator to keep the truck cool.

-All of the LS's I have seen are equipped with traction control.  Both of my doner SC cars don't have it, although it may be an option.  The traction control doesn't seem to mind not being hooked up however and the hardware is ususally removed from the throttle body.

-The power steering pump on the LS has its resevoir built on to the pump.  The SC has a fender well mounted resevoir similar to the Toyota Trucks.  Both should work.

-The SC's have larger injectors but more restricted exhaust manifolds.  I think this is the reason for the same power output numbers. Some people have used even larger Supra Twin Turbo Injectors with an aftermarket computer to make evne more power.

-The SC manifolds fit  fine between the frame, firewall, steering rod.  Although some people choose to go to a 2 bolt flange instead of the standard 3 bolt.  The two bold flange can be sourced from the catalytinc converters.  The LS manifolds will not clear the frame or steering rod.  It is unclear if any Lexus 4.0 or Tundra 4.7 headers will fit without modifications.

I can provide pics of all of these differences if needed. 

Also, as far as the sump goes.  The rear sump seems to fit Solid axle trucks better and the front sump works better with ifs.  The sending units for temp and oil pressure from the 3.0 v6 bolt right to the 1uz engine and gauges will work with no modifications.  A factory tach from a 4cyl will work or the v6 tach can be adjusted to work. 
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 08:21:57 AM by toyminator »
1989 P/U
1988 4Runner

Offline tech tim

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2008, 10:20:20 AM »
Wow, there is a lot of good info here....

It really sounds like the SC is the engine of choice for less hassels to install in a Toy pickup with the exception of the oil sump and depending on live axle or IFS.

I'll definitely take you up on the offer of some pics TM, but, it'll be a bit before we know what we'll need.

Thanks Toyminator and Cebby.

Offline toylexus

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 04:21:47 PM »
Hey Toyminator, i'll take you up on your offer to post some pics. i need to see how the SC400 exhaust manifolds fit between the frame and next to the steering shaft.  Thanks in advance.

Offline toyminator

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 06:37:56 AM »
Were working on my buddy's 4Runner right now and he has all the pics.  Were trying to fab a set of universal motor mounts so both v6, 4cyl, solid axle, and IFS trucks can use the same mounts and he is a little anal about showing everybody what they look like because I think he wants to start manufacturing them.   Here is a link to a guy on pirate who did a swap.  He cut a lot of corners and didn't do a very clean install but he does have pics of the fitment.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=635660&highlight=1uzfe

He cut the flanges off the exhaust manifolds and welded the pipe right to it.  I wouldn't recommend this.  The 3 bolt flange does fit on solid axle trucks.  He also has a good pic of the oil filter fitment using the SC400 Oil filter adapter.

I will post pics once I have a set mounted in my own truck.
1989 P/U
1988 4Runner

Offline toylexus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 12:26:43 AM »
"-The SC manifolds fit  fine between the frame, firewall, steering rod.  Although some people choose to go to a 2 bolt flange instead of the standard 3 bolt.  The two bold flange can be sourced from the catalytinc converters.  The LS manifolds will not clear the frame or steering rod.  It is unclear if any Lexus 4.0 or Tundra 4.7 headers will fit without modifications."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay... i thought you were referring to your project when you said that the SC400 manifolds fit.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 12:30:13 AM by toylexus »

Offline bushwhacker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 04:00:47 AM »
Just to add to the confusion, I have LS400 manifolds/Headers and they only just clear the steering shaft, plus I've also used the three bolt flanges, and they only just clear the torsion bars.

N.B. I do have a 2" bodylift and my steering wheel is on the 'wrong' side. ;D
Keep on truckin'!