Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

News:

Author Topic: Engine longevity  (Read 6188 times)

Offline tech tim

• View Profile
    • Email
Engine longevity
« on: April 29, 2008, 11:24:47 PM »
How many miles are the 1UZs good for?

Obviously the rig needs to be taken care of, but how many miles realistically can they go before a rebuild.

Offline toyminator

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Engine longevity
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 09:05:49 PM »
300,000+ with the correct timing belt changes.  Since they have both aluminum block AND heads they are immune to the head gasket issues that plagued Toyota on their V engines in the early 90's.  The lower ends of the motor are build mutch better than the Iron block 4.7 Tundra motor.  You can get complete motor specs on www.lextreme.com as well as more swap info.

They are also subject to some of the same starter problems common to other Toyotas.  Their contacts willl need to be replaced at some point.  However, the 1uzfe starter is located under the intake plenum and is a big job to remove it.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 08:10:29 AM by toyminator »
1989 P/U
1988 4Runner

Offline Cebby

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Cebby66
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 08:37:06 AM »
They are also subject to some of the same starter problems common to other Toyotas.  Their contacts willl need to be replaced at some point.  However, the 1uzfe starter is located under the intake plenum and is a big job to remove it.

Big job = nearly impossible.  Due to the starter bolting in from the back of the engine, the likelihood of removing it is nearly impossible due to firewall clearance (or a lack thereof).  Prior to installing the engine, it's a good idea to reverse the starter mounting.  This is done by getting bolts and nuts to bolt the starter in from the front side of the engine.  It's still a major job to R & R it since the whole intake and fuel rails need to be removed, but at least you'll be able to remove it without pulling the engine forward.
TOOLandFAB.com
A discussion forum dedicated to tools, fabrication & workshops

Offline tech tim

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 10:12:06 AM »
 :o

Sounds like it'd be best to rebuild or replace the starter before doing the engine swap!

Offline Cebby

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Cebby66
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 11:44:59 AM »
:o

Sounds like it'd be best to rebuild or replace the starter before doing the engine swap!

I think most that do this swap do replace the contacts as a minimum prior to dropping the motor in.  I know I replaced mine.
TOOLandFAB.com
A discussion forum dedicated to tools, fabrication & workshops