Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

News:

Author Topic: Buying parts cars or pulling from one  (Read 4195 times)

Offline linuxpro

• View Profile
    • Email
Buying parts cars or pulling from one
« on: February 08, 2008, 09:57:24 PM »
I've got a line on a 1993 SC400 with front damage, 86k miles, for $1800 for the whole car, or $700 for the engine and transmission, and he'll let me pull it.

The engine/tranny combo sounds like a good deal, but the seller says he hasn't run the engine since he bought it from copart.com.  Says he is selling because he can't get the title on it and can't register it in our state.

What I was wondering is, if I am going to look at the car, and I can't start the engine - is there anything I should be looking for on this 1UZ-FE to see if it has problems?  I've read other horror stories about pulled engines and that stuff freaks me out.

Also, is it a better deal to just offer the dude $1200 for the whole car and see if he bites? 

If he's letting me pull the engine, I asked him if I could pull the ECU, complete wiring harness, speedo w/ wiring harness, ignitors, and accessories.  He said that was fine.  Is there anything other than the above items I should grab?  Fuse box, obviously.  But does the SC400 have the separate TCU thingy in the back?  Any other accessories (other than those on the engine) required for a running engine that I should grab while I'm in there?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.  :)

Offline toylexus

• View Profile
Re: Buying parts cars or pulling from one
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 01:59:07 AM »
If you're going for the automatic transmission setup, definitely grab the engine and transmission together.  You should grab the fuel pump ECU from the back corner like you mentioned.  Airflow meter is a must and the airbox might be a good keeper too. Some of this stuff i wish i had from the vehicle mine came out of.  Depending on your emissions laws and what you plan to do with your swap, you should consider taking the catalytic converters and the oxygen sensors. From what i've seen on another running SC400, there's 2 oxygen sensors before each catalytic converter: one in each exhaust manifold. There's also two in the back: one oxygen sensor AFTER each catalytic converter, if it was equipped that way.

Offline linuxpro

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 08:11:00 PM »
Hey thanks for the feedback.

One question:

When I was talking to a driveshaft guy (about having a driveshaft made for the truck), he said the auto tranny from the LS400 and SC400 would not work on my truck because it isn't a slip-yoke.  Is there some way around this?  I don't really need the 4wd on my truck but if leaving the transfer case on, or adapting one, would resolve the issue with the driveshaft, than I'd keep it I guess.  What's most important to me would be keeping the stock tranny so that I don't have to deal with heavy ECU tweaks, weird OBD errors, and stuff like that.  Frankly, though, I wanna lose the 4wd since this will be more of a street/DD/rod than a crawler or offroader.  I haven't used the 4wd once since I bought the thing.  Anyway... anyone have any experience using a stock Lexus auto with the stock Toyota 4x4 rear diff?  How did you resolve the driveshaft issue?

Any opinions?

Offline ksuyota

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 10:35:26 PM »
I have never really thought about a 2wd drive shaft before but can't be that much different than 4wd. I had a TJ that wheeled for a few years. We would take off the slip-yoke on the rear output on the tcase. We would run a double cv joint shaft. I don't know why you couldn't use a CV drive shaft. Or you could do a two joint drive shaft, a ujoint at the yoke/trans output and a yoke at the diff.
I would give Tom Woods a call, I'm not a big fan of his shafts but he should be able to help you.  His website. www.4xshaft.com