Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

News:

Author Topic: Engine harness connector ID's -- 1994 4Runner/1995 SC400  (Read 24706 times)

Offline toylexus

• View Profile
Engine harness connector ID's -- 1994 4Runner/1995 SC400
« on: January 17, 2008, 01:02:30 AM »
This is the beginning of  the ECU wiring of my project. What follows are ID's of connectors, followed by the picture of the actual connector itself. This may take a while to straighten everything out. i wanted to at least get the ID's posted. My goal in all of this is to allow the lexus side of the harness to be plug 'n' play with the toyota side of the harness. By splicing matching lexus circuits necessary for operation of the engine/gauges/etc  into the identical circuits on the toyota IH1 and IH2 connectors cut from the toyota engine harness, i can make it a lot cleaner in the end, and maintain some degree of sanity in the event diagnosis is ever necessary of the wiring. Also note on the white pages that show the male and female connectors; sometimes instead of a number there will be an "X" or a black dot "*"  symbol. The "X" means there is no wire in that cavity. The the black dot "*" (according to my source) says "occupied positions, but not applicable to the system circuit".   Here goes.

This is the Toyota connector IH1, male and female sides.
-Pin 22: Black wire, function: Starter control B+
-Pin 14: Black w/Red wire, function: Ignition switched voltage to ignition coils, igniters, and injectors
-Pin 10: Black w/Green wire, function: ECU power (B+) from EFI FUSE
-Pin 16: White w/Red wire, function: B+ voltage from EFI RELAY- powers oxygen sensors, EGR valve, and fuel pump ECU pin 4
-Pin 3: Violet wire, function: MIL/ SES/ Check Engine light (whatever you want to call it)

IH1 connector-- this was cut from the original 3VZ-E engine harness.

This is the toyota connector IH2, male and female sides.
-Pin 14: Yellow w/green wire, function: Temperature gauge signal.
-Pin 11: Yellow w/blue wire, function: Oil pressure gauge signal.
-Pin 20: Black wire, function: Tachometer
-Pin 19: Green w/red wire, function: Speedometer

IH2 connector-- this was also cut from the original 3VZ-E engine harness.

Lexus ECU connector E12 B.

E12 B

Lexus ECU connector E11 A.

E11 A

Lexus EB1: This is one of the two primary connectors on the Lexus side that connect to the Toyota IH1/IH2 connectors in the wire splicing process.
-Pin 4: Black w/yellow wire, function: ECU B+ power from EFI fuse
-Pin 8: Black w/orange wire, function: EFI relay control - on/off

Lexus EB2: this is the second of the two primary Lexus connectors. This one pretty much holds the starter control circuit and the engine sensor/egr positive voltage circuits. Hopefully this one is self-explanatory.

Lexus connector IK1.
-Pin 9: Yellow w/green wire, function: Temp gauge signal
-Pin 20: Yellow w/black wire, function: Oil pressure gauge signal
-Pin 8: Black wire, function: Tachometer
-Pin 7: Blue w/red wire, function: Speedometer

IK1

Lexus connector IK2.
-Pin 9: Blue w/yellow wire, function: MIL/SES/Check Engine light (whatever you want to call it)

IK2

Lexus connector IJ1.
-Pins 3, 7: Black w/orange wire, function: B+ voltage to ignition coils, igniters, and injectors

IJ1

Lexus connector IJ2.
-Pin 11: Black w/orange wire, function: Ignition (B+) voltage from 7.5 Amp 'IGN' fuse to ECU

IJ2

Lexus connector II1.

II1- mine is broken, but seeing as how i don't have the other side, it doesn't really matter.

Lexus connector T12 B. This is one of two connectors that connect to the Lexus traction control ECU. Not used in this swap.

T12 B - This connector is in pretty bad shape on the backside.

Lexus connector T13 A. This is the second of two connectors for the traction control. Not used in this swap.

T13 A - This connector is also in bad shape on the backside.

This is the right lower passenger side kick panel area. The ECU lives down here. The gray connector is the male side of IH1, and the white connector is the male side of IH2. This is where all of the wires will come together and connect the toyota body to the lexus engine harness.

i'll try to post more info on the pins of the connectors that are important. Hopefully by the end of this week, i can post more shots of the lexus and toyota wiring being spliced together and the pins/wires/colors that were spliced.
i discovered during some research that the letter in front of each connector (IH1, EB2, etc)  indicates its location in the vehicle. "E" is for the engine compartment, "I" is for the instrument panel and surrounding area, and "B" is for the body and surrounding area.

Toyota connector IH1 pin 14, Black w/Red - connected to Lexus pins 3 and 7, Black w/Orange. The circuit function is ignition coils, igniters, and fuel injectors.

Toyota connector IH1 pin 22, Black - connected to Lexus connector EB2 pin 1, Black. The circuit function is starter control B+.

This is the back of Lexus connector EB2 with the starter wire cut off. Since the harness with this connector comes off the left (driver) side valve cover, i cut it, spliced it, and ran a black wire over to the right side of the firewall and fed it through to the right kick panel with the rest of the wiring.

i will be using this type of butt connector during the swap. i highly recommend these. They are the heat-shrink type. After the butt connection is made, the ends are heated up. They shrink and seal the wire to the butt connector and have proven extremely reliable in other wiring repairs. Once they cool, the connection becomes very solid.  The parts department where i work sells these at an insane markup, so i picked up some 25-packs at my local OSH hardware store for just under $10.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 09:05:18 PM by toylexus »

Offline Cebby

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Cebby66
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Engine harness connector ID's -- 1994 4Runner/1995 SC400
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 03:41:07 PM »
This will be an excellent guide!  Nice post!!
TOOLandFAB.com
A discussion forum dedicated to tools, fabrication & workshops

Offline toylexus

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 11:02:38 PM »
i set out in december to put together a "basics to start it" sheet that would help me define the electrical circuits needed to get the engine started. This does not include any cruise/gauges/transmission indicator/other electrical circuits at this time. i just wanted to know what i would need to do to get the engine started. In defining these electrical circuits, i also needed to know which part of the lexus circuit would have to be connected to the same circuit in the toyota. That was (and still is) the time consuming part of this sheet.

Here's what i came up with. It needs ecu voltage/ground, starter control, ignition coil and igniter voltage, fuel pump control and voltage/ground, fuel injector voltage, and efi main relay power/control. This is a slow month's worth of research. i'm not claiming that i have it all figured out, so if you see something i missed, please point it out.

The lexus EFI main relay contacts receive power from the 30 amp EFI fuse. This voltage is supplied to: engine/trans ecu pin 31 connector (A), EGR valve pins 5 and 2, left rear O2 sensor pin 2, right rear O2 sensor pin 2, Left front O2 sensor pin 2, right front O2 sensor pin 2, and fuel pump ecu pin 4. All wires in this voltage supply circuit are colored Black w/red stripe.

Here's how the pinout goes:

Toyota -- connector/pin/wire color            - Lexus -- connector/pin/wire color     - circuit description
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
IH1/22/BLACK                                           - EB2/1/BLACK                                     - STARTER B+ CONTROL

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IH1/14/BLACK w/RED                                - IJ1/3,7/BLACKw/ORANGE                  - COILS/IGNITERS/INJECTORS

IH1/16/WHITEw/RED                                 - EB2/2,3/BLACKw/RED                       - EFI MAIN RELAY VOLTAGE (B+)

IH1/10/BLACKw/GREEN                             - EB1/4/BLACKw/YELLOW                    - ECU B+ FROM EFI FUSE

EB2/6/BLACKw/YELLOW                            - EB1/8/BLACKw/ORANGE                    - EFI RELAY CONTROL ON/OFF

*Toyota EB2 is in the underhood relay block, on the underside. The EB2 pin 6 wire must be cut in half. The half going to the relay must be spliced into the Lexus EB1 pin 8 wire. This is a modification not originally designed into the toyota and is needed for the Lexus ECU to properly control the EFI relay.*

The pink butt connector is connecting to the relay control wire from the ecu. This is the back of the underhood relay/fuse block directly under the EFI relay. i didn't have the same colors, so i used a yellow w/black stripe to splice into the lexus EB1 connector.

EB2/6/BLACKw/YELLOW                            - IJ2/11/BLACKw/ORANGE                    - IGNITION VOLTAGE TO ECU FROM 7.5
                                                                                                                                AMP 'IGN' FUSE

*Continued from above- this is the other part of the wire that was cut in half above. This wire half comes from the 7.5 amp 'ign' fuse (toyota EB2 pin 6, connector side of the wire) and supplies ignition voltage to the lexus ECU through connector IJ2 pin11 at key on. Again, this is a modification not built into the toyota, but is required for the Lexus to operate correctly in the Toyota body.*

The white connector in the upper right area is toyota connector EB2.
More EB2/under hood fuseblock pics:

This is both connections on the EFI circuit completed. A single wire is cut in half and made into 2 seperate operating circuits for the lexus.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<5/23/09 edit> It was brought to my attention that the pictures of the efi relay wire above were confusing. I'm pretty good at confusing simple things. So, here is a drawn out schematic showing the the way lexus (top half of the schematic) originally controlled its EFI main relay, and the way toyota (bottom half of the schematic) originally controlled its EFI main relay.

This drawn out schematic shows how i joined the lexus ecu to the toyota 7.5 amp fuse, and the lexus ecu to the control side of the toyota EFI relay. This drawing is a schematic representation of the three pictures above showing the 2 circuits made out of one. Note the dotted line that says 'previous factory wire'. That dotted line between the two black dots represents how the circuit used to connect.  The dotted line is not an actual connection between wires, it's just to show how they connected before i cut the B-Y wire in half. That is the point where i cut the B-Y (black w/yellow) wire in two. The arrows pointing to the new wire is where i literally butt connected another piece of wire in and ran it to the ecu.

Backside shot of the toyota EB2 connector.

Top of the underhood fuseblock with cover removed, top left area -- white connector is EB2.

This is how the fuses and relays are set up on my rig.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i have completed all 5 of the wire splices to date (not including the fuel pump). This chart is based on schematic diagrams as compared and researched between the toyota and lexus engine controls. The toyota 4runner i'm working on is a 1994 4WD automatic, and the Lexus is a 1995 SC400. i'm sure there will be slight differences as compared between my work and yours, so make sure you double check pins, wire colors, and connectors with your model year. i will continue to post more information and pictures as this moves forward. i am hoping by next week to potentially do a test start of the engine in the truck.

i would suggest checking out the 'fuel pump ecu' thread for info on the fuel pump.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 03:14:50 AM by toylexus »

Offline toylexus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 11:38:49 PM »
Major update!!!! Today was the day! Before i get into this, i need to make another note on the wiring. The lexus engine/harness i have came with the positve and negative battery cables already attached to it. i realized today, that even though i connected the lexus engine battery cables to the battery, the truck body itself was not connected to the battery, as those cables went away with the old engine.  The toyota body still houses all the fuse blocks and relay blocks and they still need battery power and ground. So, i took the large white cable from the right side underhood fuse block, which was still technically connected to the toyota positive cable end and spliced it to a longer wire and connected that to the positive post on the battery.

For the negative side of it, i made a wire with an eyelet on each end of it and one side connected to the negative post on the battery, and the other side of the wire i connected to an existing ground on the left inside fender area under the hood. It was a 10mm bolt head with a small ground wire already attached to it. i opened the door and put the key in the ignition, and everything on the dash lit up for the first time in a long time!  So remember---- the lexus engine needs positive and negative connections to the battery, and so does the donor body so all the accessories and everything else will still work.

With that done, i turned the key, and the engine cranked. Music to my ears! Since it cranked, i pulled out the lexus ECU and made the 3 plug-in connections there.  i haven't gotten as far as powering up the fuel pump, or even connecting it to the lexus fuel rail for that matter. I sprayed what was left of a can of carburetor cleaner down the throttle body. i went back and turned the key again, and the beast sprung to life! This is a huge sigh of relief right now!

This means that all the wiring connections to get it started are correct. This also means that the engine's ignition system including the cam/crank sensors, ignitors, coils, wiring, plugs, plug wires, and distributors are all working correctly. Which in turn also means the ECU is functioning to some degree. i was worried about the ECU because it looked like it had been kicked around a few times.  ......and one more time; this also means that the removal of both cylinder heads and cleaning of the valves and the timing belt/water pump/idler pulley replacement last year was done correctly to some degree!

i shot a call to mikronized, who didn't answer. So i got another can of carb cleaner and fired some more down the throttle body, and left him a voice mail of his engine cranking and firing off. 

This is a good place to be right now. It's reassurance that all of this work is not in vain. i have no pictures or videos of this  with me right now. Tomorrow if i get a chance, i'm going to try to power up the fuel pump and see how that goes. i also have a couple of loose ends to tie up before i let the engine run for any longer than 5 seconds.

Offline runslikecrap

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 11:31:57 PM »
right on! i just bought a 2UZFE to put into my 94 runner. Ive never really done anything like this before and hope to use your thread as guidance. Glad to hear its running!

Offline toylexus

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 12:52:21 AM »
right on! i just bought a 2UZFE to put into my 94 runner. Ive never really done anything like this before and hope to use your thread as guidance. Glad to hear its running!

Thanks! Keep in mind that i use the term "sprung to life" very loosely. i still need to get it to run with coolant in it, get it up to operating temperature..... that kind of stuff.  This is definitely a big step in the progress department.

Offline Cebby

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Cebby66
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2008, 10:26:02 AM »

I split off your immobilizer question into a new topic. 
TOOLandFAB.com
A discussion forum dedicated to tools, fabrication & workshops

Offline toylexus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2008, 12:27:16 AM »
Okay guys. Here's a quick glimpse of what's going on with the beast. The engine cranks, and runs, but only on carburetor cleaner for now. Still working on getting the fuel pump to power the engine. Click on the picture to watch... it's only 12 seconds long. Not too exciting, but definitely proof of progress  ;D

« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 12:32:40 AM by toylexus »

Offline pramuan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 12:11:30 AM »
I am have experience for crank --> run --> stalldown
The solution is the hardness connection of ECU, i am remove the ECU plug one by one to then firm it, now running was OK.

Any know what is it as piture?

PAA

Offline yotaman95

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 08:42:22 PM »
Hey guys whats up?  Great thread!  I just bought my first toyota 95 4runner and cant wait untill I get to swap in a 1uz.  I hope you guys start to add to this post again.  It almost feels like Im cheating with such good info to use.  Thanks

Offline toylexus

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2009, 03:30:46 AM »
Hey guys, just want to let you know i added a drawn-up schematic up above there in the EFI main relay pictures. Hopefully this will simplify the understanding and wiring of it a little more.  i'm hoping at some point this weekend to get heavily into the wiring schematics and splices that need to be made. It's been too long. i'm also hoping to be able to start updating the connectors and diagrams that are already on here as much as i can..... it's been too long......

Offline toylexus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 09:15:39 PM »
Just a heads up if you're still following this thread, i added Lexus EB1 and EB2 connectors, and more wire functions on the lexus IK1, IK2 connectors, and more on the toyota IH1, IH2 connectors.