Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

News:

Author Topic: 1UZ into a FJ80  (Read 15911 times)

Offline GrimReaper

• View Profile
    • Email
1UZ into a FJ80
« on: December 23, 2007, 08:03:49 PM »
Ran across an interesting ad for a wrecked SC400. It was hit from behind and is totaled. Supposedly still runs and going for dirt cheap.

What are the chances it will be a bolt up to the transmission in a 90-97 FJ80?Lx450 Land Cruiser if I used the bell housing off a SC400 or a FJ100/Lx470 that came with the 2Uz

Depending on the year it will have the  A440F 90-92, A442F 93-95, A343F 95-97.

Offline Chewy

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1UZ into a FJ80
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 12:48:10 AM »
I'd like to see this too...
Originally I was going to put my 1UZ into my 98 4Runner, but have now decided to drop it into my 91 FJ80.  I read a post where someone else was looking to mate a 440F to a 1UZ.  http://www.uzswap.com/index.php?topic=128.0  Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 10:49:06 AM by Cebby »
98 4Runner 1UZ V8
77 Celica

Offline sbisig

• View Profile
    • pnwadventures.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 05:28:01 PM »
Has anybody made this swap happen yet?

I've yet to see a post of an actual conversion even after searching Aussie forums.

Steve
1992 FJ80

Offline bushwhacker

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 05:40:48 AM »
Has anybody made this swap happen yet?

I've yet to see a post of an actual conversion even after searching Aussie forums.

Steve
1992 FJ80

I found this........
http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-tech/116400-fj80-2uzfe-tundra-v8-conversion-pics-build.html
http://lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7354&highlight=FJ80

The guy is fitting a 2uz though :)
Keep on truckin'!

Offline Chewy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 02:12:42 AM »
I was looking into doing this same swap into my 91 FJ80.  From all the research I did on it, this is what I determined:  The 1UZ will NOT bolt directly to the 440/442 series transmissions.  It WILL, however, bolt to the 343 but make sure the tranny came from a vehicle with a 2UZ motor.  Basically, the 343 has the same housing as the Lexus 340/341 2WD transmissions, but the older 44X's have a different housing/bolt pattern.

For my swap, I decided to use the Lexus tranny with the FJ80 transfer case.  I had to use the original TC because of the unique offset driveline on Land Cruisers.  Anyway, I searched all over and no one made an adapter to fit the HF2A transfer case to a Toyota 34X transmission.  There was an adapter for the 4Runner/Tacoma-type transfer case, but nothing for the Cruiser ones.  I got as far as talking to a guy who was going to make me an adapter plate to mount on the front of the transfer case to turn it into a divorced unit, when I decided (yet again!) to scrap my plans and go back to putting the 1UZ into the 4Runner.

In the end, I decided it was going to involve more fabrication/money/headaches to put the thing into the older Cruiser.  Since the motor was from a 97 SC400, I would've had to deal with non-1991 Land Cruiser problems, like OBD-II, r134 vs. R12, etc.  I'm sure it wouldn't have been as bad as I thought, but I just think it would be easier to install it into the 4Runner at this point!
98 4Runner 1UZ V8
77 Celica

Offline toyminator

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 06:34:32 AM »
I was looking into doing this same swap into my 91 FJ80.  From all the research I did on it, this is what I determined:  The 1UZ will NOT bolt directly to the 440/442 series transmissions.  It WILL, however, bolt to the 343 but make sure the tranny came from a vehicle with a 2UZ motor.  Basically, the 343 has the same housing as the Lexus 340/341 2WD transmissions, but the older 44X's have a different housing/bolt pattern.

For my swap, I decided to use the Lexus tranny with the FJ80 transfer case.  I had to use the original TC because of the unique offset driveline on Land Cruisers.  Anyway, I searched all over and no one made an adapter to fit the HF2A transfer case to a Toyota 34X transmission.  There was an adapter for the 4Runner/Tacoma-type transfer case, but nothing for the Cruiser ones.  I got as far as talking to a guy who was going to make me an adapter plate to mount on the front of the transfer case to turn it into a divorced unit, when I decided (yet again!) to scrap my plans and go back to putting the 1UZ into the 4Runner.

In the end, I decided it was going to involve more fabrication/money/headaches to put the thing into the older Cruiser.  Since the motor was from a 97 SC400, I would've had to deal with non-1991 Land Cruiser problems, like OBD-II, r134 vs. R12, etc.  I'm sure it wouldn't have been as bad as I thought, but I just think it would be easier to install it into the 4Runner at this point!

Could you use the bellhousing, torque converter, oil pump, etc fromt he front of the Lexus tranny and bolt it to the 440/442 series transmission that already has the correct adapters for your t-case?   Or for that matter can you just use the output from the 440/442 series and bolt it to the Lexus tranny?   I thought all of the Aisin tranny's had the same housing in the main part of the tranny.
1989 P/U
1988 4Runner

Offline Chewy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 11:23:37 AM »
Honestly, I never thought about trying to switch out the front end like some have done with the 340H and Lexus trannies...I wanted to be certain of what would work and what wouldn't work before I put the Land Cruiser under the knife!
My biggest concern with using the 440F tranny is that it wouldn't be able to "talk" properly with the 1UZ's ECU.  But now that I think of it, I don't even think the 440 is computer controlled!  If that's the case, then I suppose it would almost be like hooking up a manual tranny.  But I'd still have to worry about how to attach it to the 1UZ.
From what I gathered, the cases between the 44x and the 34x series transmissions are different, including the bolt patterns for the bellhousing.  But to be honest, I never actually put a 3FE/440F and 1UZ/340E bellhousing side by side to compare.  Hmmm...maybe the patterns are the same?  Maybe swapping the BH, torque converter, oil pump would work??  Great, now you have me thinking about the FJ80 swap again!!!!  Ahhh!!!   :)
98 4Runner 1UZ V8
77 Celica