Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/customer/www/uzswap.com/public_html/Sources/Load.php on line 168

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/customer/www/uzswap.com/public_html/Sources/Load.php on line 178
98 4Runner
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

News:

Author Topic: 98 4Runner  (Read 114275 times)

Offline Chewy

• View Profile
    • Email
98 4Runner
« on: December 07, 2007, 08:47:11 PM »
Motor showed up today!  ;D ;D ;D  Didn't have my camera, so I couldn't take photos but I'm gonna try to this weekend.  Anyway, the motor is from a 97 SC400 and looks pretty clean.  I did a once over on it and noticed the only thing that was broken was the pressure sensor(?) coming off the oil filter mount.  (The front of the engine was supported on the pallet by only a 4x5" block).  Needless to say, it shifted in transit and allowed the front of the motor to impact the pallet, snapping the plastic portion of the sensor and denting the oil filter.  >:(  Oh well, let the parts list grow!  This leads me to my questions...

1.  But before I can start this project, I need to get the engine on a stand...what size are the bolts that attach the bellhousing to the block?  I'm gonna have to run to the store to buy some.  16mm?  18mm?

2.  Anyone know the part number for the starter contacts?  Would they be the same for a 2UZ?

That's all I can think of right now.  Plenty more questions to come later....
98 4Runner 1UZ V8
77 Celica

Offline Chewy

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 98 4Runner
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2007, 02:37:48 PM »
I found it!  They're M12-1.25 x 90mm... expensive little suckers too.  I went to Home Depot, Napa, and Checker Auto.  None of them had anything like that in stock.  Ended up going to my local Ace Hardware where I was lucky to find them, but unfortunately they only had three.  So now I gotta wait until they get some more in stock before I can get the motor up on a stand. :(
98 4Runner 1UZ V8
77 Celica

Offline Chewy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 12:29:47 AM »
I guess I'll post this in my build-up thread...  :)

What gears are you guys running/planning on running once the 1UZ is installed? 
I ask because I recently switched out my 3.91 rear end for 4.30's.  I can definitely notice a difference in the lower end "grunt", but it's also noticeably louder when cruising on the freeway (higher RPMs).  I'm just wondering if 4.30's might be too much once there's more power up front?
98 4Runner 1UZ V8
77 Celica

Offline toyminator

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 06:17:26 AM »
Hehe.  I'm running 5.29's....................................................................But I got 39.5" tires.

I think the 4.30's should be good.  The lexus cars have either 3.56 or 3.90 gears in them so I think a 4Runner with taller tires will work better with the 4.30's
1989 P/U
1988 4Runner

Offline Cebby

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Cebby66
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 09:33:12 AM »
I found it!  They're M12-1.25 x 90mm... expensive little suckers too.  I went to Home Depot, Napa, and Checker Auto.  None of them had anything like that in stock.  Ended up going to my local Ace Hardware where I was lucky to find them, but unfortunately they only had three.  So now I gotta wait until they get some more in stock before I can get the motor up on a stand. :(

I'm not sure all of them are the same size - let me check what I have.
TOOLandFAB.com
A discussion forum dedicated to tools, fabrication & workshops

Offline Chewy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 10:41:43 PM »
39.5"?? That's a lot of rubber...he he he   ;D

I was able to make some progress on the 4WD conversion aspect of my 1UZ/4WD swap!!  Went back to the junk yard and pulled the front diff, CV axles, and spindles from the same 97 4Runner I took the transfercase from.  The front diff has 4.10's installed, so I might try trading my rear 4.30'd 3rd member for one with 4.10's.  Would be alot cheaper than buying/installing new gears up front!  I doubt I'll ever go bigger than 32's, so I think I'll be good with the slightly higher ratio.

OBTW, I found this thread today... http://www.uzswap.com/index.php?topic=140.0  Doh!!  Shoulda searched a wee bit more!!  :)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 11:13:31 AM by Cebby »
98 4Runner 1UZ V8
77 Celica

Offline Chewy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 05:38:21 PM »
Ok, I finally decided this is the week I'm gonna start my swap!  I'm just about finished with the major stuff and am ready to pull out the old motor.

I did have an AC question though... When I bought the motor, the input/output holes on the AC compressor were pretty cruddy.  Is there a special way to clean the compressor?  In other words, do I have to worry about "contaminating" the inside if I were to spray a bunch of brake cleaner in there?
98 4Runner 1UZ V8
77 Celica

Offline Cebby

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 10:50:33 PM »
The crud is probably worse than brake cleaner (which will evaporate anyway).  When you get the AC system filled, they will pull a vacuum first so that should help with any residual  cleaners/fumes.
TOOLandFAB.com

Offline Chewy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 06:55:00 PM »
Ok, thanks Cebby! :)
98 4Runner 1UZ V8
77 Celica

Offline Chewy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 08:36:34 PM »
Well, I started my swap this weekend.  Was pretty productive yesterday...got the engine & tranny removed in about 2 hours!  (It always helps to have some friends who like to wrench ;) )  Today I looked over the 3RZ wire harness and got it ready for shipping to Phoenix Tuning (www.phoenixtuning.com).  I decided to let them do their magic rather than try to mess with the wiring myself. 

Here are a few shots.  I figured getting the motor out was the easy part so I didn
98 4Runner 1UZ V8
77 Celica

Offline Chewy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2008, 06:23:23 AM »
So I pulled apart the front differential to clean it out, inspect the gears, etc.  I didn't go too in-depth; pretty much only separated the two halfs of the housing.  Once I started putting it back together, I realized something - the Ring & Pinion gears get separated when you do that. 

I know that the rear differential is one complete unit and once the R&P are properly aligned, you don't need to worry about it.  But with the front, it's a different story.  So my question is...if you pull apart the front diff, do you need to have it properly aligned again (backlash, etc.) or is it just a matter of bolting it back together?
98 4Runner 1UZ V8
77 Celica

Offline Chewy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 12:08:46 AM »
Well it's been awhile, but I've made some good progress.  Was able to fit the motor & tranny and after getting it into a good initial position, I was very happy to see that the 4 holes on the engine block lined up perfectly with the frame motor mounts!  I even looked at using the 4-cly motor mounts, but they wouldn
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 05:25:58 PM by Chewy »
98 4Runner 1UZ V8
77 Celica

Offline Cebby

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 12:32:54 AM »
Great progress!  That looks DAMN good!

Got any pics of the oil filter and oilpan?

Are you using the stock 4Runner Rad, or planning to use something aftermarket?
TOOLandFAB.com

Offline Chewy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2008, 05:24:48 PM »
Thanks Cebby!!!   :)  I
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 01:38:04 AM by Chewy »
98 4Runner 1UZ V8
77 Celica

Offline Chewy