Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

News:

Author Topic: looking into a 1uzfe swap....  (Read 6572 times)

Offline Tofer

• View Profile
    • Email
looking into a 1uzfe swap....
« on: November 22, 2007, 02:08:07 AM »
i hydrolocked and broke a rod in my 3.0 in my 4runner. i'm hoping that i can just do a quick rebuild and be 400 bucks out to fix it..... BUT if for some reason, cracked the block, more is damaged then i thought etc, i want to do a motor swap. i'm am torn between 3.4 and a sbc, but now i've been researching this and i like this even more......

so i have a couple questions:

where is the best place to get the motor? i've look on craigslist in all of oregon, washington and CA and only found a couple.
is a BL required (like the 3.4 requires)
what all do i need besides ecu, and motor?

thanks for the input.

Offline 91_4x4runner

• Global Moderator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - aimislame15
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: looking into a 1uzfe swap....
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2007, 08:28:54 AM »
If you're not an electronics expert, it's best to get an uncut wire harness, ECU, associated sensors (O2 sensors for one thing), and the standard auxiliaries (PS pump, alternator, AC Compressor) from a donor car. I scoured the Craigslist's in my area until I found a wrecked 1992 SC400. By getting the entire car, I'm assured of having everything electronic required and also knowing that the engine runs before I start my swap.

A body lift or custom oil pan will be necessary to fit the engine (it'll foul on the front diff. otherwise). Custom motor mounts will also have to be fabricated, along with integrating the wiring with the rest of the instrument cluster.

EDIT: Almost forgot to mention, if you want to keep a manual transmission, you're going to need a custom bellhousing/flywheel etc. Raises the total cost of the swap quite a bit, but from everything I've seen, it'll be well worth it.

Hope that little bit of info helps, Eric.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 08:30:50 AM by 91_4x4runner »
91 4Runner
78 280Z
92 SC400

Offline Tofer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2007, 01:41:35 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mentioned this is a SAS'ed rig. so is the oil pan still going to be an issue? what would you guess the ballpark price would be for the swap? i'd prefer to keep my 5sp but if its easier to get an auto then idk. i thought the toyota auto were crap.

Offline Tofer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2007, 02:09:15 PM »
found a rolled SC 400 down in vegas... the guy said he didnt know what he wanted for it but sounds like he wants it gone fast. i'm hoping i can get the whole thing for 1200 bucks. its the whole car that i can then part out. is this a good price?

Offline 91_4x4runner

• Global Moderator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - aimislame15
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2007, 09:53:55 PM »
I'd be weary of buying a rolled car personally (consider oil starvation etc). I paid 1250 for my 1992 SC400 with a broken control arm and lots of body work. My initial goal was to part it out as well, but I have simply given up on parting it out and settled with just getting rid of the carcass as quick as I can. If you can verify that it runs well and contains little or no damage to the engine bay , transmission, exhaust (O2 sensors aren't cheap) and whatnot, it might be worth some money, but not 1200. Mine also came with little things like a new water pump, timing belt, serpentine belt, auto trans. filter kit etc.

Some minor things to check for on the engine before buying:

Check the PS pump for leaks (they had a habit of breaking and toasting the alternator with PS fluid).
Remove the oil cap and smell to find out if its been burned (check oil level too, it's a good indicator of owner maintenance).
Make sure the alternator is working (volt-meter to battery when car is running).
See if the gauge cluster works. It's worth some money or even good for testing before integrating to the 4runner cluster.

There's tons more that I haven't listed, but overall, the car probably isn't worth 1200 if these basic things aren't done.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see your last replies. If it's SAS'ed, you should be fine with a rear sump, but I can't attest to it. For reference, the SC400 came with a rear oil sump. I'd estimate that a total swap would cost in the ballpark of 4-6K for barebones. I'm already about 1.7K in and I haven't bought/fabricated the parts to mate the transmission, motors mounts, custom driveshaft(s), transmission mounts, cooling fans, etc. There's alot more that goes into a swap like this than meets the eye.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 09:59:04 PM by 91_4x4runner »
91 4Runner
78 280Z
92 SC400

Offline Cebby

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Cebby66
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2007, 08:17:43 PM »
I think a swap can be done for under $3k and done well.  There's a guy on Pirate that just did one for about $1100, but he is using a $150 engine.  The SC400 motor is a great option for an SAS'd 2nd Gen.  You can use the exhaust manifolds, oil filter mount and nearly everything as is out of the SC400.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 08:20:40 PM by Cebby »
TOOLandFAB.com
A discussion forum dedicated to tools, fabrication & workshops