Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

News:

Author Topic: Motor Mount Drawings available for Download!  (Read 48023 times)

Offline toylexus

• View Profile
Re: Motor Mount Drawings available for Download!
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2007, 12:17:24 AM »
Here's what happened when the drivelines were moved 3" to the back:

The front driveline slid way back

The rear driveline got shoved back a little too far

Here, the intermediate steering shaft clears the left rear valve cover much better.

The centerlink and oil pan are nowhere near contacting eachother now.

The engine moved a lot closer to the chassis mount.

This is how far the transfer case hangs off the back of the crossmember now.

Offline mudbugga

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2007, 05:53:29 PM »
Looks good toylexus! 
I'm trying to get organised to do the 1uz swap into my brothers vz surf.
Can you tell me what type of sump I'll need for an IFS? It seems some say rear sump and others say front sump.
I am stumped. Which one is better? :-\
Did you have to "massage the firewall any to get 1uz back far enough? I've been told that if I set the motor back 25mm i won't have to change driveshaft lengths.
My bro's surf is an auto and I was also wondering is it worth keeping it auto or should I manual it?
Thanks

Offline toylexus

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2007, 12:48:47 PM »
Hey Mudbugga, i have to be completely honest here; the engine i'm working with on this project came from a '95 SC400. The engine was sourced by my buddy, Mikronized, who actually owns the '94 4Runner i'm doing the swap on. He did all the research on the engine before he bought one. He went for an engine that already has the rear-mount oil sump.  i've seen other guys here that have purchased 1Uz's from LS models that have had the front sump. i think that either way, you can make the sump fit that you want, you just have to find it on another engine (wrecking yard). What other people say and what your truck is set up for are two different things. You should pick what will work for your truck. As you see in those pictures above, the oil pan setup on this rig works perfectly mainly because of the front stabilizer link clearance. If you want to see more pictures of something, let me know and i can take some.

i haven't had to "massage" anything yet. i'm still in process of trying to fab the engine mounts. i made a terrible mistake a few months back-- i made one mount that fit perfectly on the right (passenger) side of the engine only to find out that things were not dimensionally correct at all when i took measurements. Now i'm back at square one again. i found out that the mount was too low to the chassis and the exhaust manifold touched the chassis when i  tried to install it. i will have to do a little "massaging" in the end though. The backs of the valve covers come very very close to the firewall.

As far as the transmission goes, if you really want to keep it automatic, it's a huge process. i followed and used a LOT of the research that Cebby did with his automatic. He took really good pictures of the torque converter and front pump and input gears, and everything he did was right on. The fit was perfect. i've done a lot of research on the electronic transmission shift solenoids and controls, but at this point it's really nothing more than speculation without it running. Everything at this point looks like it will probably work but i will never know for sure until the truck is running. If you're looking for ease and less headache, the manual transmission would be the way to go. i've seen some very determined people on this site put together 4runners with !uz's that are running now with manual transmissions.

The choice is all yours. A lot of it depends on your budget too. We've seen on this site that it CAN be done. It's always an inspiration to me to see the ones that are running when i feel like this project isn't going anywhere. Take your time and don't give up when things don't seem like they're going right. My project is taking much more time than i originally anticipated but it's still rolling. Post back if you have any more questions. This site is a wealth of knowledge.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 11:04:21 PM by toylexus »

Offline toyminator

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2007, 01:15:39 PM »

Actually if you want the Automatic the best one to use is the one that came with the lexus.  Inchworm Gear makes a prerunner adapter to convert 2wd Toyotas to 4wd.  The Lexus transmissions are the same as the 2wd Toyota stuff.  You will need to cut the output shaft but its the same procedure as the 2wd Toy Transmission.  This wya you won't need to worry about any electrical problems at all.
1989 P/U
1988 4Runner

Offline toylexus

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2007, 01:42:26 PM »
The only issue i could see with this http://www.inchwormgear.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=995
adapter is that you wouldn't be able to use it with your original toyota transfer case. It looks like a pretty good way to go if you're buying a transfer case for it, though.

Offline toyminator

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2007, 01:45:24 PM »
I Know it works with 21 or 23 spline t-cases.  If you were referring to the shifter locations the t-case can be modified to work.  Or in my case I used an older transfer case when building my dual setup.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 01:51:32 PM by toyminator »
1989 P/U
1988 4Runner

Offline toylexus

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2007, 10:55:39 PM »
i was looking at my project. my comment probably doesn't apply to transfer cases that aren't  internally coupled with the toyota transmission. Looking at the belly-up side of the lexus transmission ( SC400 '95 model year) and the belly-up side of the toyota 4WD transmission ('94 model year)  side by side, it just wasn't going to happen. Cebby's prior research on fitment of the frontal transmission components seemed like the best way to go.  i'm pretty comfortable working with the electronics side of things, so knowing i had to figure out the inside electrical part of it didn't bother me too much.

Offline toyminator

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2007, 09:47:23 PM »
I'm not sure about the '94 model transmission (A340H) but side by side the Lexus transmission is axactly the same as the A340F which I believe is the one Cebby experimented with.  The bellhousing and output is different but the case is the same, as is the pan.  I have an a340f from a 1999 4Runner and 3 Lexus Trannys 92,93,and 94) and the only differince I can see externally is the dipstick is on the oposite side.
1989 P/U
1988 4Runner

Offline WeasyS2S

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2007, 01:04:23 PM »
i have read the same...the 4runner/tacoma a340 will bolt right up to the uz. 
i just wonder if the bell housing needs to be changed?

Offline Cebby

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Cebby66
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2007, 03:42:51 PM »
yes the bellhousing needs to change, you also need the input planetary/shaft, oil pump and torque converter.
TOOLandFAB.com
A discussion forum dedicated to tools, fabrication & workshops

Offline tcuz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2009, 08:40:25 PM »
Hi,
Are the CAD drawings for the engine/gearbox mounts still available? I can't download the ones at the top of this article. Thanks Tom

Offline tcuz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2009, 05:30:48 AM »
Hi All,
Does anyone have these drawings? Or can tell me where they're located?
Thanks Tom

Offline neonphire8604

• AOL Instant Messenger - neonphire8604
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2009, 09:23:01 PM »
Hi,
Are the CAD drawings for the engine/gearbox mounts still available? I can't download the ones at the top of this article. Thanks Tom
I would also like to take a look at them but the links  aren't working properly.
1996 Integra GS-R Stock
1995 Pickup Stock... for now

Offline Cebby

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Cebby66
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2009, 01:35:52 AM »
Here are the files - I knew I had them somewhere...
TOOLandFAB.com
A discussion forum dedicated to tools, fabrication & workshops

Offline tcuz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2009, 04:13:54 AM »
Cebby,
Great, thanks very much.

Cheers
Tom