Notice: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in /home/customer/www/uzswap.com/public_html/Sources/Load.php on line 168

Deprecated: Function create_function() is deprecated in /home/customer/www/uzswap.com/public_html/Sources/Load.php on line 178
Fuel pump ECU
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

News:

Author Topic: Fuel pump ECU  (Read 25985 times)

Offline toylexus

• View Profile
Fuel pump ECU
« on: March 20, 2007, 02:19:44 PM »
I was looking through some engine control schematics for the 1995 Lexus SC400 engine I have for my swap and found something I haven't seen or heard of yet. Alldata calls it a fuel pump ECU. They also give a part number of 8957024010 and a price of $305.73. This is the first I'd seen anything like it. I didn't get one with my engine/transmission. Anyone else know about this?

Offline Cebby

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Cebby66
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Fuel pump ECU
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 03:53:29 PM »
Doing these swaps is like peeling an onion - another layer after another layer.....

Found on another forum:

Later model ECUs the fuel pump is controlled by an external computer that is in the rear of the vehicle (and thus is usually chopped off and not included with the front cut)
TOOLandFAB.com
A discussion forum dedicated to tools, fabrication & workshops

Offline Cebby

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 04:35:08 PM »
I couldn't find a fuel pump ECU on either of the LS diagrams I have (90 & 95).  Both of the SC400 diagrams DO show one though.

http://www.uzswap.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=8
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 11:10:05 AM by Cebby »
TOOLandFAB.com

Offline toylexus

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 06:53:08 PM »
Does your LS setup just use a fuel pump relay?

Offline Cebby

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2007, 09:41:32 AM »
Does your LS setup just use a fuel pump relay?

I think so, but I need to verify that now.  I didn't know about the FP ECU existed before your thread.
TOOLandFAB.com

Offline Cebby

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 10:10:01 AM »
OK, here's what I discovered (was IM'ing with Lextreme himself this AM).

The LS and SC use different injectors (221 v 251)  this necessitated a separate fuel pump ECU for the SC's.  You can tell your engine ECU is from an SC by the plugs on the ECU, they are square instead of a rectangle.

Not sure if the LS uses a really or if handled by the engine ECU.  Still need to dig into that part.
TOOLandFAB.com

Offline freddy4runner

• MSN Messenger - bj_73@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 05:56:54 AM »
Hey Guys,
Just thought you would be interested to know, I just pick up my 1UZ for my conversion over the weekend, The engine is from a Celsor/LS400 and it came with a fuel pump control unit. I was told it controls the speed of the fuel pump at idle basicly by reducing the voltage sent to the pump so it will run quieter at idle. the importer told me that I don't have to run it but he would throw in anyway.
I have attached a picture of it as you can see an the part number on the unit is 89570-30120
hope this helps.
1995 4runner sr5 v6 limited with alloy bullbar, 2" OME lift and spotties, 32" BFG'S. 1UZFE in the garage being prepared for installation.

Offline Cebby

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2007, 07:48:58 AM »
Freddy - thanks for the pic!  I've been wondering what that thing looks like.  Interesting that it's use is optional though...
TOOLandFAB.com

Offline freddy4runner

• MSN Messenger - bj_73@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2007, 06:59:28 AM »
I have spoken to a couple of performance places that play with supra's and they say that they ditch them in favour for direct 12volt supply. good to know you don't need it, I guess it's just another thing to wire up.
1995 4runner sr5 v6 limited with alloy bullbar, 2" OME lift and spotties, 32" BFG'S. 1UZFE in the garage being prepared for installation.

Offline toylexus

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2007, 01:17:53 PM »
Hey guys. It's been too long since i've been on my project or on this forum. You know how that goes. i've lost saturdays working on the project because the shop i work at closed down on saturdays. (that's good for me, bad for the project!) Anyway, one thing has led to another and since at this point i can't make any progress on the engine mount situation, i'm digging into the wiring of it. i've found 2 connectors on the 3VZ-E harness that are interior connectors (they connect between the engine controls and the interior harness behind the right *passenger* kick panel)  One connector is a dark gray 24-pin connector and is referred to as IH1 in the schematics. The other is a white 20-pin connector referred to as IH2 in the schematics. i have been able to map all but 3 pins on IH1, and all but 2 pins on IH2. Then i'll start the same process on the 1UZ harness.

i'm mainly trying to restore the functionality to the inside of the truck by doing this- warning lights and gauges, tachometer, speedometer, cruise control, ignition switch, shift indicator, etc.  i'll post my findings as i go.

Offline Cebby

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2007, 03:07:30 PM »
That will be a HUGE help.  I'm coming up on that part myself...
TOOLandFAB.com

Offline toylexus

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2008, 02:18:41 AM »
i have some more info on the fuel pump ecu situation. i've looked at the toyota and lexus schematics enough times that something came into focus for me today. The toyota uses a relay to control the fuel pump, called a 'circuit opening relay'. i haven't verified its location physically yet, but the locator in alldata shows it to be above the ECU behind the right kick panel.

This isn't a normal single coil/single contact relay. It has two coils and a single contact. One coil inside the relay is energized when the key is turned to the start position, which energizes the fuel pump during cranking. Once the key is released to the run position, the first coil turns off. The second coil is energized (to allow the engine to continue to run once it's started) once the airflow meter starts measuring enough airflow to indicate the engine is running. The schematic shows there is a ground path for the second coil that is completed inside the airflow meter.

The lexus SC400 that i'm working with does not have a circuit opening relay, but it does have the fuel pump ecu. What occured to me is that even though the circuit opening relay and fuel pump ecu are controlled differently, they both serve a very similar purpose-- controlling the fuel pump. Since i don't have the fuel pump ecu, i'll just jumper voltage to the fuel pump at the data link connector under the hood on the FP terminal for initial testing to make sure it will start.

Offline toylexus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2008, 08:05:19 PM »
i found the circuit opening relay today. It is in fact where alldata says it is; above the ecu behind the right (passenger side) kick panel. i removed it from the metal bracket to inspect it (no camera today- pictures to follow) and found that it has 'circuit opening relay' written right on it. The fuel pump ecu (that still needs to be purchased) will most likely splice into the wiring for this relay, and the relay will be eliminated.

Offline Cebby

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2008, 09:51:15 AM »
OK, now I'm confused.  Do we need this fuel pump ECU or not?  Can I just use the relay in my 4Runner?
TOOLandFAB.com

Offline toyminator

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2008, 01:26:08 PM »
I don't think so.  I believe the fuel pump ecu is only for the 2 speed operation of the lexus pump.  Most of the info I found on lextreme indicated that it was wired direct like the stock truck.  I haven't personally tested the theory yet though.
1989 P/U
1988 4Runner